You Are Only As Beautiful As You Feel

You Are Only As Beautiful As You Feel

How to throw the middle finger to all of the set standards of beauty.

157
You Are Only As Beautiful As You Feel

Most of the time when you are in a room full of girls, you will hear someone ask the inevitable question, “Do I look ugly?” By living in a house with three other girls, I pretty much hear it every single day. However, I feel like I can’t blame them for asking. We’re part of a generation where social media and Hollywood dictates a young adult's life, which can be really tough. Mindlessly scrolling through your news feed and seeing perfect hair, skin, make-up, and bodies isn’t something that you’re going to miss. However, regardless of all of that nonsense, every girl needs to remember that they are beautiful.

When did it become acceptable to look in a mirror and think about what needs to be fixed? When did it become OK to want to look like someone else and compare yourself to them? When did someone say that you have to have a certain look to be beautiful? In my opinion, it’s all bullshit.

In my house, my roommates are constantly asking me if their outfit looks OK, if I think that this boy will think they’re cute, and whatever else they are concerned about. All that I want to do is shake them and tell them that they look great. They shouldn’t be concerned as to whether their hair is in a ponytail or curled. All that matters is how you feel.

If you feel sexy in a sweater from Savers, then you should go out and rock that sweater. If you feel hot in tight pants and heels, then wear the tight pants and heels because you shouldn’t be concerned about what other people are thinking of you. There’s a reason why the phrase, “You stay in your lane and I’ll stay in mine,” is so popular. It's because it’s absolutely true. When you are able to successfully master the art form of brushing off your shoulder in the face of criticism, you have finally made it. You’ve finally made it because if someone’s life is sad enough to judge you for shallow things like clothes or how your makeup looks, then their life is already pretty sad.

The trick to this life skill is to accept who you are as a person. If you have a tummy that you don’t want, acne that you can't control, or even boobs that you think are too big, you have to accept it. Your tummy will go away if you work on it, your acne can disappear with the help of face wash or medication, and your boobs can double as a table for drinks or your phone. In other words, it’s all wavy and extra gravy! The day that you can look in the mirror and pick out a positive about yourself over a negative is the day that you win. Your prize is being able to look your haters in the eyes and blow them a kiss because, honey, you are flawless.

So, stand up and celebrate your beauty instead of hiding behind your fear because you are only as beautiful as you feel.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F04%2F12%2F635960718888345406-1796021668_635955480813778690-1252527730_giphy-1.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=989&h=793a2f8fb2a784afbec1c78f921fe8c398b538e79c5e09f61a87af059adc403d&size=980x&c=2892156841 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F04%252F12%252F635960718888345406-1796021668_635955480813778690-1252527730_giphy-1.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D989%26h%3D793a2f8fb2a784afbec1c78f921fe8c398b538e79c5e09f61a87af059adc403d%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2892156841%22%7D" expand=1]