You Are More Than Society's Ideologies

You Are More Than Society's Ideologies

There is only one you, and that is something that no one can take away.

4
You Are More Than Society's Ideologies
123rf.com

As I have touched on in previous articles, there should be no reason why you question your self-worth. There are far too many people who struggle with finding themselves and end up wallowing in a pit of self-hatred. In order to feel as if you matter, there are certain steps you have to take. It takes a lot of work to overcome a lack of self-esteem. But this article is going to be primarily focused on you. Living in a type of culture that is so fixated on achieving “perfection” is tough, and it gets worse as each day passes by. However, by reading this list of reasons why you as an individual are significant, I hope that this sheds light on certain pieces of truth that were formerly in the dark.

1. God Says You Are

Genesis 1:27 says, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” If we are made in the image of God, how would we not be of worth to Him? There is no way that the God of the universe would choose to create man in His very image unless we mattered a lot to Him.

2) There Is Only One You

Psalm 139:13-14 tells us, “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” No one else in the universe is exactly like you. Your DNA is proof of that. Even identical twins don’t have the same DNA, so believing that you are not unique is an absolute lie.

3) Society Is Composed of Flaws

Seriously, when did we give society the authority to define what it means to have worth? Our culture makes it seem like not having the perfect body, flawless skin, and enough pride to flaunt it equates to being “lesser than” others. Not only does this make no sense since none of us are completely perfect, this is unattainable. There is no possible way for anyone to be able to achieve such a far-fetched goal. That’s why no one should worry what society says anyway; society lies and is hypocritical because it is full of flaws itself.

4) Only You Can Fulfill Your Specific Purpose

Who else has the same talents as you? The same goals? The same characteristics? That’s right; no one else is just like you, so that means no one else will have the same exact purpose on this earth. Of course, our ultimate purpose is to bring glory to God, but each of us has a different role to play in shining the light of Christ. You have a specific purpose here, and there is no one else who could take your place in fulfilling it. Let’s face it-you’re awesome, and God has an unfathomably awesome plan for your life. To top it off, He knows you better than you know yourself, so whatever plan that is, you are going to excel at it and love it.

5) Definition of Beauty is Expansive

We have permitted society to define beauty. In reality, beauty is not limited to a certain body shape or one beautiful face. Beauty is found in numerous places and in numerous ways. It can, of course, be found on the outside. Beautiful people are everywhere, and they display the handiwork of God. However, what is on the inside of a person displays the attributes of God. Because we are made in His image, we are allowed to convey some of the same characteristics that He has. If that’s not beautiful, I don’t know what is. Strive to represent Christ well by choosing not to conform to society’s ideology of beauty, but rather understand that the definition of beauty is found on the inside of you.

For all of the aforementioned reasons and many more, you are important, you are beautiful, and you are loved. You have something to give to the world that no one else can because there is no one else who is exactly like you. That is not only something that should make you feel special, but it is something that you were born with. It’s not something earned; it’s just freely given. The ideas of our culture often contradict themselves and are full of no absolute truth, so keep in mind that no matter what others may say, you should make the most of your life because you have something extraordinary to offer the world.