You Are What You Drink

You Are What You Drink

What your beverage may or may not say about you.

401
You Are What You Drink
Wikipedia

We're all familiar with the idiom, "You are what you eat," meaning that if you consume healthy foods, you will be a healthy person. If you've never visualized the phrase, do so now. It's worth the three seconds.

If you think about it though, don't we as a society tend to identify people based on what they drink? Dare I say more often than their food preferences? The rest of this article will explore the stigmas attached to beverages. These opinions are not necessarily my own because I don't believe that it is fair nor completely possible to encapsulate someone via their drink of choice. They are merely observations, which you have the freedom to agree or disagree with.

Coffee

I consulted a couple of my barista friends for this section. Here is the verdict: sugary, froufrou, more-cream-than-coffee beverages are typically ordered by your basic female college student or the kid you babysit when she wants to feel older.

Cappuccinos/machiattos/cortados mean that you are in the learning process of becoming a coffee aficionado. If you order a drip black coffee, it is evident that you know your stuff. If you order a pourover, you are the ultimate coffee snob.

People in a rush tend to order iced coffee. Baristas appreciate when someone orders a hot drink in a mug and takes the time to take a seat, read a book, and sip slowly.

Alcohol

From what I understand, beer means you are either a resident of the South, a college student, or both. If you drink punch, it's because you are a regular at fraternal gatherings. If you drink fruity beverages (margaritas, daiquiris, piña coladas), you're probably a girl. Wine means you are sociable and want to appear classy, even if it's only a façade. Liquor-drinkers tend to be more hardcore and also potentially alcoholics, more often than not with facial hair.

Juice/Smoothies

You strive to be healthy, but you have found a way to make it enjoyable. I commend that. The sad truth is that there is as much sugar in those drinks as there is nutritional value.

Energy Drinks

You are more than likely a wannabe gym rat. You quite possibly procrastinate chronically, why else would you be you chugging that Red Bull if not to cram for a test?

Tea/Soda

These are too broad and universal to stereotype. Ergo, if you drink tea or pop, as the Northerners like to call it, you are a human. Congratulations.

Water

You value your life here on this earth.

Cheers!