Don't End The Sentence Of Your Life On A Cliffhanger

As long as you're alive, you can improve.

43
Lydia Pinkham

Take it from me first and foremost: there's nothing more tragic than losing someone you love. Every day someone in the world loses a part of their world they treasured, and it breaks them. Some of these deaths are natural, with sickness and age. Others are devastating and unexpected. Then there's perhaps the most tragic of all: the loss of those who chose to take their own life.

Suicide is no joking matter. I've discussed it in detail before, but it's not the kind of subject that can be discussed in a single article.

Your life is your story, and people want to hear it.

Our lives act as any other story arc would. There's a beginning, middle, and end, filled with twists and turns we couldn't see coming. There are moments when all seems to be lost, but there is always a redemption waiting around the corner.

In our narratives, we are the authors. Nobody can make our decisions for us and the path you set out on is unique to you. That being said, of course there are friends and family eager to hear every piece of your plans. Why would you end your story so early when there's so many more things you could do with it?

What is The Semicolon Movement?

I recently became aware of something known as The Semicolon Movement, an idea that we are the authors to our own lives. In writing, a semicolon signifies the spot where a writer could have ended their sentence, yet chose not to. The sentence symbolizes our lives, and the way that we can willingly choose not to let a bad thing end them prematurely.

The more invested you are in a story, the harder it can be to see it end. This should be especially true for ourselves and the future we want to achieve, and as such it should be stressed that we choose to do something new. Instead of ending the sentence completely, try taking it in a new direction. Try some new things and the results will change as a result!

You deserve a satisfying ending, not a rushed one.

The unfortunate fact about each and every life on Earth is that sooner or later, they end. There's nothing we can do to change this and it's something we have to come to terms with on our own time.

That being said, life is one long adventure and we should be in no rush to be done with it when there is an endless amount of potential to explore with it. Heartbreaks are devastating and depression attacks when you least want it to, but there are better solutions to take into consideration that don't take away your future at the same time.

I've known several people who were overcome by these negative emotions and chose to end their sentences, including one of my own brothers, as I briefly touched on before. The empty space that they left behind in our hearts and minds affects us all to this day, and proves that our own stories have been forever changed themselves.

Part of your story is the end. The beauty of life is satisfied by fulfilling your own potential before eventually reaching that point. Some people unfortunately choose to cut off their lives before they truly get to live them; now, you can make the choice for yourself to move forward and start a new chapter in their place.