Yes, I Am The Girl Who Falls Asleep In Class

Just let me be!
74

Being a college student is tough.

You have so much to do in such little time and even the best planners find themselves lacking in the sleep department. I, for one, am always tired. It sucks because there isn’t a part of me that doesn’t want to sleep early, but the reality of the situation is: If I need to get work done, homework trumps sleep most days in my life.

With that being said, I am definitely guilty of falling asleep in my classes. It's not like I go in with that intention! But somehow, as soon as the professor begins to lecture about topics that at the moment I could care less about, my head begins to nod forward and my eyes begin to close. Sometimes I feel like I actually have a problem because sometimes I fall asleep without even realizing it. Like, legitimately, I will wake up and not even remember going to sleep. The struggle is real, especially as finals are coming up and going to class is more of a need than a want.

My advice for a class napper like me? I find that writing out my notes, versus typing, helps me stay awake and remember the information better. Further, I think actively participating in a class that is more discussion based helps because then you can ensure you are engaged the whole time. Another tip is having your friend nudge you if you are starting to doze off or drinking water/ bringing a snack so that you can munch on something the whole lecture.

I am not one that opposes taking middle-of-the-day pick me up naps. So if you have time between classes, finding a comfy lounge on campus to catch some z’s could help you stay awake in class College, although very fun, can oftentimes be a very stressful and tiring place. It’s important to try to get as much sleep as possible every night to ensure that you will be able to perform your absolute best in your next day’s classes and extracurricular activities.

But, to be honest, no one is perfect and if you find yourself sneaking a nap in class, don’t beat yourself up about it. Take the L for that day and be better the next lecture!