Yes I Am A History Major, But I Don't Want To Teach

History connects our Past to our future!

368
Historical Ruin Abbey

Alright, so here I am, enjoying college life, keeping up with all my classes and making friends. But let's just rewind for a minute before I even entered into college I got asked the question " oh what is your major going to be?" and I would answer with history, alright now the next thing that people would ask is if I was going to teach, which my answer would be no.

This went on for many weeks and still goes on even at school, the first week of school I think I said my major on average about ten times a day, always getting asked the same question was I going to teach and always giving the same answer.

But here is what I find funny, I find it funny that when I tell people what my major is their brains automatically scream she is going to teach it, well quick news flash people there are many different jobs that I could do with a history major that doesn't involve teaching (I know all very shocking). I have no interest in teaching and nothing against those who teach, I admire you for dealing with kids all day really I do, but I could never do it. I am here to shake up the stereotype that just because you have a major in history that you have to teach, me I want to be a museum director.

There are a number of jobs out there that history majors are doing, like archaeologist, historian, content creator, museum director, and these are just a few there are a number of jobs for history. Now I am aware that history majors don't really bring in the big bucks, they might which in that case way to of for you I'm proud! Most people though are not in a major for history because of the money aspect, but basically, they simply love it just like I do.

It isn't about the money or even the jobs it is about building connections for the past to the future, seeing what the people that were before us did who they lived, it's about the endless upon hours of endless research that makes a project. So you see it's not about the money that I might not ever see or even about the people who say I'm a nerd when my head is found in a new historical novel, no it's not about that at all. it's about the joy that it brings me and how I'm my happiest when I am surrounded by old dusty books.

So yes I am a history major, but no I will not be teaching.