Why New Years Resolutions Are Unnecessary

There are many fool proof ways to have a good year.

12
Blog Fotor

It has come to be that time again. The new year is here. And despite how great or awful 2016 might have been, we were never truly satisfied. So, we decide to make resolutions: long lists of ideas of bettering ourselves, which are really just some type of incentive to ourselves in order to get through the next year. As if we decide in advance that there is going to be some underlying purpose to this year that directly correlates to you, and you only.

In light of this, we must choose some resolutions that best reflect who we are, and who we wish to become. This could mean a variety of things, whether it be to become richer, skinnier or just more humble all together.

But why do we even have resolutions in the first place? What's the purpose? Consider all of the major resolutions you have made for yourself in your lifetime. How many have you actually fulfilled in their entirety. Unless you are winning at life, the chances of you really sticking with these decisions are slim.

And to be honest, I am sick of all of the tumblr posts about how we wish the year was over, and how we cannot wait to move on. I find this to be very sad. Although each year may not be incredible, you cannot tell me that there was not one day where you woke up and were happy to be well and alive.

It is for this reason, why I have chosen not make any resolutions for this year, Why? Because I want to have the best year of my life. And writing resolutions is simply setting myself up for failure. This connects back to the idea that if you do not expect anything, you will never be disappointed. Although it is good to call yourself to be better and to achieve good things, it is unfair to limit yourself to such a specific set of goals, as you are constantly changing and developing. Instead of doing this, I will set small, reachable goals for myself each day, this way I will accumulate accomplishments, and therefore more good days. And good days can easily translate into good weeks, good months and good years. So, let us have the best year of our life by not having any resolutions!