New Year's Resolutions For Your Mental Health

Rest and relaxation are in your future.

14
Inpatient Recovery Center

Let’s be real--how many New Year’s resolutions do we actually keep? For me, the answer is zero. I usually start off all motivated in January and by the time February rolls around, I’ve lost all interest. Well, I’m determined to make this year different. Instead of making resolutions to do well in school or keep well-rounded friendships, I’m going to focus on improving my mental health. Treating your mind with respect will lead to other aspects of your life falling into place.

This year it’s time to take a more positive approach to life. When times get rough, our minds go right to all the negatives, but in order to keep a healthy mindset we need to focus on the positives. Try to take the glass half full approach and see the good in things even when your mind wants to focus on all the bad. Changing your mindset does wonders for the rest of your life as you become genuinely happier and have a newfound respect for life.

We live in a fast-paced world where rest and relaxation are the last things on our to-do lists. Well, it’s time to move it closer to the top. Overworking yourself does nothing but destroy your positive mindset. Even if you take 10 minutes a day to do a peaceful meditation or color a page in your adult coloring book, the break from reality will do you good. Most important: get a full night’s sleep. Running on less than eight hours of sleep won’t do you any good. Many phones have a bedtime app that allows you to set reminders to get ready for bed and an alarm to wake you up at the same time each day. Creating a routine will help you feel more energized and organized when starting each day.

The hardest thing I learned to do was say “no”. It can be tempting to want to please everyone, but that typically comes at the expense of your mental health. Sure it’s a good thing to help out when someone is in need, but if it disrupts your relaxation or sleep time, it might be best to say no. Others may be surprised at you turning down your request, but they’ll come to understand that it is for your own well-being.

This is the year to start changing your mind for the better. We’ve become so accustomed to our technology-driven-world that we forget to take time for ourselves. Start small and make an effort to relax for five minutes each day. Over time, you’ll be grateful for the change in your mindset and the positive impact it will have in your daily life.