10 Ways To Know You're From Greenville

10 Ways To Know You're From Greenville

#yeahthatgreenville

55
10 Ways To Know You're From Greenville
Skydive Carolina

For my entire life, I have had the privilege of calling Greenville, S.C. home. Born and raised, I have noticed that Greenville has its charms and characteristics that make it stand out. There is a reason it is one of the top places to visit in 2017 according to the NY Times. You can find Greenville tucked under the sky-piercing Blue Ridge Mountains. It is home to over 475,000 people and continues to grow. With all of the wonderful food, the atmosphere and booming downtown, it is no wonder why people stick around to experience the Greenville lifestyle. Whether you are a Greenville native or just curious about the city's quirks, below is a list of ways you know you are from Greenville.

1. You lose your shit over the snow

This is a generic southern thing, but I can attest to the pandemonium that is Greenville when the weather channel calls for snow. Everyone flocks to the grocery store for bread and milk, taking out civilians along the way. Apparently those are the common go-to items and vanish off the shelves as soon as the weather person mutters the word snow. All schools, banks, post offices and any other important buildings shut down and take the day off because of the sheer fact that snow is just unmanageable around these parts.

2. The water tastes better here

And it's true. You can drink straight from the tap. While that may sound absurd to some, Greenville has won the Water Taste Test held by The American Water Works Association two years in a row and three times total. I'm not kidding, this is a real contest held every year by real people. Makes you wonder how some people get to that point in their lives.

3. Everyone be trippin' for Fall for Greenville

This event that takes place during the month of October is a monumental moment for the city. Everyone gathers in downtown for fun, food and festivities. It's so special that they have a count down for it and everything. Forget Christmas countdowns, let's get pumped for fall. 40 restaurants with over 200 menu items along with live performances by various artists come together to create memorable nights for thousands of people far and wide.

4. It will always be the BI-LO Center, not Bon Secours

Back in the day, all the concerts and big events took place at the BI-LO Center. It is where I witnessed the Cheetah Girls and Taylor Swift (great taste in music, I know). Many unforgettable moments were made there for many people and it continues to do so under the name of Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The name change back in 2013 caused quite the ruckus in town and to this day, many people will still refer to it as the BI-LO Center. As of now, I just call it the BS Center, just to shorten it.

5. You eat at Taco Casa

This Tex-Mex restaurant has been around for over 30 years in Greenville and has fed thousands of its people. Being one of the only cash only establishments in town, it really demonstrates the tradition. This building is hard to miss when it has a giant red roof. No, really. It would be incredibly hard to miss this place. If you ask someone if they've heard of Taco Casa, they'll more than likely say, "Oh, I have eaten their my entire life/most of my life." It's family environment, wonderful food and great staff continue to serve the wonderful residents of Greenville.

6. Bad traffic, horrible roads and even worse drivers

Typically, one would speak kindly about their city. When it comes to the traffic, road and drivers, there just isn't anything nice to say. No matter the time of day or where you are, there is going to be traffic, bumpy roads and at least two people to cut you off or drive under the speed limit. Now, I am not calling Greenville out specifically. South Carolina in general is known for its horrible roads and terrible drivers.

7. Swim team is a second religion

Here in Greenville, swimming is taken seriously. So serious to the point where neighborhoods get TPed, signs are put out saying "A swimmer lives here", golf carts flood the streets and cars get painted in honor of their swimmers and teams. Pools turn into fighting rings as all the swimmers take their place and come together not just as a team, but a family as well.

8. You know the Jay Gilstrap commercial by heart

No matter what station you put your radio on, this commercial is bound to come on. At first, it is kind of catchy. However, the more you listen to it, the more irrationally angry you become. Whether it is Zen Master Jay or just Jay himself, the commercials get old after a while. They are played once every 20-30 minutes, 2-3 times per hour and around 48-72 times per day. With the average drive being four hours, you would hear the commercial 8-12 times. That's enough to make you want to pull your hair out.

9. Clemson vs. USC

These two teams dominate the town and for good reason. Clemson just recently won the National Championship against Alabama, one of the biggest games this year. Every where you go, there are flashes of orange and garnet. This rival really sparks controversy in Greenville and it'll be hard to not come across a diehard fan who would fight to show that their team is better. Welcome to the south where football isn't just a sport, it is a way of life.

10. Pride in Greenville

Many people from Greenville would say that this is a great town to live in. There are wonderful places to visit, great people and pride within the residents and community. With it growing more and more every day, it is no wonder that Greenville is the place to be. I have loved growing up here and getting to say that I am from here. It is prosperous, vibrant and on the rise.