10 Things To Know About 'Roma's' Yalitza Aparicio

Yalitza is making major headlines as the first indigenous woman to be nominated for lead actress at The Academy Awards.

25

Yalitza is the star of the Netflix film "Roma" which has been nominated for several Academy Awards. Yalitza has been thrust into the limelight ever since getting recognition for her role as Cleo, the housemaid in the film. Here are some fun facts about this queen.

1. Yalitza was a preschool teacher

She had a degree in early childhood education while pursuing another degree in pre-school education before starring in "Roma." This brings to light how indigenous women and men are continuing in higher education.

2. She is the second Mexican actress to be nominated for an Oscar

Yalitza got nominated for best actress and I almost had tears of joy. She is the second Mexican actress to be nominated behind Salma Hayek who got nominated for her portrayal of Frida Khalo.

3. Her older sister was suppose to audition for the role of Cleo in Roma

Yalitza's sister was pregnant at the time and asked Yalitza to audition for her, bur Yalitza was skeptical about the whole ordeal. She went to the audition as a favor to her sister and gave it her all, which stirred emotions for Alfonso Cuarón who based the film on his memories of his nanny growing up.

4. Yalitza has three emotional scenes: Spoiler 

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times Yalitza started with the first scene that was emotional to film, which was the scene where she was in a furniture store and her ex began pointing a gun at her. The second scene is where Yalitza's character is giving birth to her stillborn child. The last scene is where Cleo has to rush in the water to save the kids from drowning.

5. She has been facing racist comments on her looks and being indigenous, but remains classy. 

Although fame and recognition can be positive, fame does come with negative aspects. Yalitza has been criticized for her beauty, skin tone, and being indigenous. In an article in indiewire, that she did pose for her Vogue cover to be the face of Mexico. Bur Yalitza has shown more representation for the indigenous population.

6. She is from indigenous origin - her father is Mixtec and her mother is Triqui

Yalitza stays true to her character Cleo by being 100% indigenous and really understand how the indigenous population was treated in the seventies in Mexico.

7. Yalitza has been nominated for nine awards for her portrayal of Cleo in the film Roma

I hope "Roma" wins some or even all the nominations for this years Academy Awards because not only is it a cinematic masterpiece, but it also brings up pivotal moments in Mexican history that people may not know about.

8. She took the role of Cleo as a tribute to her mother

Yalitza dedicated the role of Cleo to her mother. She stated in an ET article, "At first, this was an opportunity to pay tribute to my mother for her work. She too is a housekeeper, but now I realize this film is an opportunity to show all domestic workers the importance of their role within a family unit."

I love this quote because it gives depth to her but also to her character Cleo.

9. Yalitza is the first indigenous woman to be on the cover of Vogue Mexico

It is so refreshing to have to have an indigenous woman on the cover of Vogue. It opens up discussion on the indigenous community and their values in society.

10. A subjective opinion on Yalitza is that she has amazing fashion

Yalitza has definitely become one of my favorite fashion icons. She can dress casual, classy and elegant, but also chic. I definitely cannot wait to see what she will wear to the Academy Awards.