25 Young Adult Books That Deserve To Be The Next Big Movie Or Show.

Take notes, Netflix.

71
Photo by RODNAE Productions from Pexels

Young Adult books are being adapted left and right these days, so I thought I'd give some input. Essentially, every book I read and like I think should be adapted, but these 25 I especially need to see as either a movie or tv show (and they haven't been used in any of my other articles). If you don't see one of your favorites on this list, then there might already be something in development. You'd be surprised- there are a lot in the works. Since novels sometimes touch on sensitive topics, I tried my best to include trigger warnings. I may have forgotten some though so if concerned, make sure to look the book up before reading. One last note- this isn't a Young Adult book but the "Junie B. Jones" series should 100% be made into a show- someone make this happen.

1. "Tweet Cute" by Emma Lord

Why it should be adapted: This novel is a modern spin on the classic rom-com You've Got Mail that I could easily see gracing the Netflix screens.

Check it out here!

2. "The Dead Queens Club" by Hannah Capin

Why it should be adapted: Being one of my favorite books ever makes me a bit biased, but this take on King Henry VIII and his 6 wives in a high school setting is perfectly witty and a compelling tale.

Check it out here!

3. "American Royals" series by Katharine McGee

Why it should be adapted: Following the teenage royalty that this alternate-reality modern day America has is so fun, and the drama in these books could translate into a tv series well.

Check it out here!

4. "Goodbye Days" by Jeff Zentner

Why it should be adapted: This devastatingly good novel demonstrates real life grief, when a teen feels responsible for his friends' deaths and tries to repay the families by having one more special day.

Check it out here!

5. "Enter Title Here" by Rahul Kanakia

Why it should be adapted: I love a good antihero in the Young Adult genre, and this book makes you want to root for her so bad. It's about a high-achieving high school senior who will do absolutely anything to get into Stanford, even if she has to lie, cheat, and claw her way to get there.

Check it out here!

6. "The Cheerleaders" by Kara Thomas (TW: Suicide)

Why it should be adapted: No YA mystery author does it quite like Kara Thomas, and this novel has you on the edge of your seat when cheerleaders all start dying in different ways in a small town.

Check it out here!

7. "Pumpkinheads" by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks

Why it should be adapted: Since this author is from Omaha and the pumpkin patch that the setting is based off of is the one I've been going to since I was an infant, I'm again pretty biased, but I think a tv series about the two main characters having shenanigans during the fall season would be very entertaining.

Check it out here!

8. "The Chaos of Standing Still" by Jessica Brody

Why it should be adapted: This rom-com could be a new classic and a holiday one no less. Two teens meet at the snowed-in Denver airport on New Year's Eve. I don't know- there's just something about airports.

Check it out here!

9. "Glitter" series by Aprilynne Pike

Why it should be adapted: If you ever wanted a tv series that is equal parts 18th century France and modern day drug dealing, then this book series is the answer. It's a really creative concept that I think is strong enough to be seen on screen.

Check it out here!

10. "Most Likely" by Sarah Watson

Why it should be adapted: We see 4 best friends taking on their senior year of high school and then get flash forwards to one of them being president someday. The question is- which one is it? I really love this book; someone please make it happen.

Check it out here!

11. "Little White Lies" by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Why it should be adapted: A teen gets thrown into southern high society when she moves in with her grandmother. There's also a little mystery as she tries to find out who her father is.

I also have strong feelings about Barnes' The Inheritance Games which has already been announced for an adaptation, so someone hit me up for casting discussions (Hint, hint- cast Harry Styles; I don't care if he's too old to play a teenager).

Check it out here!

12. "Rules for Being a Girl" by Candace Bushnell & Katie Cotugno (TW: Sexual Assault)

Why it should be adapted: Another book I truly adore! It's about a teen's experience with a predatory teacher who threatens her academic future and how she takes her power back. There's also a feminist book club and a love interest who might be the most perfect boy I've ever read before.

Check it out here!

13. "The Mall" by Megan McCafferty

Why it should be adapted: I can definitely envision this one as a tv series. It takes place at a mall in the 90s, and our main protagonist goes on a treasure hunt that involves Cabbage Patch dolls while finding friendship and love.

Check it out here!

14. "Passenger" series by Alexandra Bracken

Why it should be adapted: It's been a few years since I've read this series, but the main concept alone is enough to be adapted into a tv show. It follows a modern day teenager being thrust back into time and going on a journey with a guy from centuries prior. I think it might have a similar vibe to the show Outlander (although I haven't seen it).

Check it out here!

15. "Today Tonight Tomorrow" by Rachel Lynn Solomon

Why it should be adapted: This rom-com follows two head-butting teens on a scavenger hunt around Seattle as they learn to work together and eventually develop some feelings.

Check it out here!

16. "Heretics Anonymous" by Katie Henry

Why it should be adapted: One of the funniest books I've ever read! This story is about a new boy at a Catholic school that joins a ragtag group of fellow outsiders and tries to rebel against the strict administration. It's a great conversation on religion especially for teens.

Check it out here!

17. "Of Curses and Kisses" by Sandhya Menon

Why it should be adapted: The sheer brilliance of bringing Beauty and the Beast to a fancy boarding school setting is reason enough, but then the usage of different cultures in the plot of the story seals the deal. P.S. it's a series, so there's more to come!

Check it out here!

18. "War & Speech" by Don Zolidis

Why it should be adapted: Another absolutely hilarious story! This one is about a new girl at an elite school that takes it upon herself, with the help of her new friends, to take down the award-winning speech & debate team and the terrible coach.

Check it out here!

19. "Teen Killers Club" by Lily Sparks

Why it should be adapted: In this society, people are tested to see just how bad they are, and some of the teens that are the worst are sent to a camp to be trained and become killing machines. The only problem is our main character might have the test score, but she actually isn't a criminal and was framed for the murder that got her there in the first place.

Check it out here!

20. "A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares" by Krystal Sutherland (TW: Anxiety-Related Disorders, Suicide)

Why it should be adapted: This novel that has become near and dear to my heart because it takes anxiety-related disorders and turns them on their head by making a family with phobias believe they've been cursed by death himself. The main character, therefore, sets out and tries to break her list of fears, so that she can live her life freely.

Check it out here!

21. "None Shall Sleep" by Ellie Marney

Why it should be adapted: Essentially, it's just Mindhunter crossed with Silence of the Lambs except in the 80s and with teenagers, so it's perfect.

Check it out here!

22. "Heartless" by Marissa Meyer

Why it should be adapted: I actually think that everything Meyer writes should be adapted, but I've already used her other series on different lists. That leaves me with this standalone novel about the origins of the Queen of Hearts that if I do recall made me cry.

Check it out here!

23. "The Cousins" by Karen M. McManus

Why it should be adapted: This novel gives me mega Knives Out vibes because there are family secrets galore! 3 cousins are sent a letter from their estranged grandma to work for her for the summer, and a mystery unfolds.

Check it out here!

24. "Wax" by Gina Damico

Why it should be adapted: Sometimes stories are just so bizarre yet work so well that you want more people to be introduced to them. This is one of those times. In this novel, a girl is startled to discover a boy made of wax has come to life, and she has to get to the bottom of the mysterious happenings at the candle factory in her town.

Check it out here!

25. "Displacement" by Kiku Hughes

Why it should be adapted: Another book on this list with a fun time travel aspect, this graphic novel takes our main character from present day to the Japanese internment camps of World War II as she is somehow transported to when her grandmother was her age. I think it would be cool to turn this book into a tv series specifically where each episode has the main character in a different historical moment for Japanese Americans.

Check it out here!