What West Virginia's 'No Right To Abortion Law' Means

Along with Alabama, West Virginia has begun preparation for Roe v. Wade's repeal along with the apocalypse planners in their bunkers.

98

This past Tuesday, the election occurred where every state voted for Senate, House, levies, and other ballot measures. In many states, there were incumbent wins, even a deceased man won in a landslide, but in West Virginia and Alabama, both decided to deny the right to abortion being state funded. WV's was incredibly close in count, being 51.73% for the amendment and 49.27% against.

How did Amendment One even get on West Virginia's ballot, you ask?

Fifteen Republican state legislators introduced the measure, and it passed 25-9 to be sent to the House for deliberation. Only three Democrats, in comparison to 22 Republicans, voted for it, while the other nine voted against. 75-25 in the House allowed it to be written on the ballot this past week. Only two abstained from voting.

So, what does this mean?

This measure was created and passed in preparation for Roe v. Wade being overturned. The odds are slim of that ever happening, but those afraid of Brett Kavanaugh's new found, conservative seat in the Supreme Court calls for reason to worry, says both abortion activitists and anti-abortionists.

The new amendment states, "Nothing in this Constitution secures or protects a right to abortion or requires the funding of an abortion."

In turn, this will make it harder for women to be able to pay for necessary abortions. While it is leaving the health of women in the hands of the government, this does not mean that abortion is illegal in the state of West Virginia. This only limits the access to an abortion, especially to those who absolutely cannot afford abortions. Their insurances won't cover it, so they'll have to stay pregnant or potentially pass away if the complications from carrying a child become life-threatening. All because they cannot afford it and their insurance will not cover it.

Many on twitter are calling it an attack against women's rights, rather than a look to cut taxpayer funded abortions. In which, it is both. It will be cutting back on taxpayer funding, and the extra money will most likely go towards West Virginia's festering cyst of a drug crisis. But, who is really winning here? Nobody.

There will be people dying due to lack of necessary abortions that are needed due to life-threatening circumstances. There eventually will be limitations to rape victims, especially if they don't have money. While there is emergency contraception in the cases of sexual assault, it is typically given if one reports the assault and is given a rape-kit. However, there is a large majority that does not report it due to fear or uncertainty, so that leaves a large majority on that side in the dark as well.

As for my take...

Personally, while I do not think that I could abort a child, I do not want to neglect someone else's right to terminate a pregnancy. There are circumstances that cannot be overlooked for the safety of our women.

It is unfair that the government is deciding the medical rights of individuals who should be deciding for themselves. As a woman, this offends me and Charleston should be quaking from the outcries of women who just lost a right to their bodies.

We have become property once again.

I weep for the future, and pray the Roe v. Wade remains untouched...even though we all know that they'll sure as hell try to. We did not deserve this, and our government should be ashamed.