WSU Retires Bell's Jersey Number

WSU Retires Bell's Jersey Number

Wayne State retired Joique Bell's jersey, No. 5, during the halftime ceremonies of their 79th annual homecoming game.

39
WSU Retires Bell's Jersey Number

Wayne State University presented alumnus, Joique Bell, the Homer D. Strong Award and retired his WSU football number during the halftime of their 79th annual homecoming game Saturday night.

Bell posted the following video of the award presentation to his Instagram:

Definitely was shocked today. Didn't see this coming. Like to thank all of my WSU teammates who came out, my current teammates, the whole WSU athletic staff from Coach Winters to the A.D. Also the biggest thanks to my family that includes my WSU family as well. Thank you all for your support over the years. #GOWARRIORS!!!
A video posted by Joique Bell (@j35ive) on

Although Wayne State lost its homecoming game Saturday night, with a final score of Warriors 17- Lakers 38, the award ceremonies provided a distraction to lift student spirit.

This was the third time that a WSU jersey number was retired. The first was Ron Solack, followed by Tom Adams.

“He worked hard and tirelessly to accomplish his goals both academically and athletically and this jersey retirement recognizes that perseverance and determination,” said Director of Athletics, Rob Fournier, to Jeff Weiss, Associate Athletics Director for Media Relations.

A recent post on Joique Bell’s Facebook page gives his reaction to the ceremony.

Definitely was shocked today. Didn't see this coming. Like to thank all of my WSU teammates who came out, my current...
Posted by Joique Bell on Saturday, October 10, 2015

This was not the first time Bell was honored by WSU. In 2009, Bell won the Ron Solack Award. Solack's jersey number, 35, was the first to ever be retired from WSU. After he passed away in 1968, an award was created in his name to honor a teammate that plays with the same pride, dedication, loyalty and enthusiasm as he had. Now a running back for the Detroit Lions, Bell's professional jersey number is the same as Solack's.

Bell also received the Harlon Hill Trophy in 2009, which is awarded annually to the most outstanding college football player in NCAA Division II.

"We have had a number of exceptional football student-athletes in the 98 year history of WSU Athletics, but Joique epitomizes the best that each aspires toward," said Fournier.