Writing Prompt

Writing Prompt

"I wanted you to fight for me"

11

"I wanted you to fight for me... and you didn't" I could feel the tears start to form with each word I spit out.

He adjusted his shirt almost as if to take a moment to think about what had just happened.

"I have been fighting for you, for four years I've been fighting…" he shook his head as he looked down. "But honestly, Emily, I don't know if I can win if keep rebuilding the walls faster than I can break them and show you how much I truly care."

I watched his eyes, even though they were too dark to show much, today it seemed to show everything. I watched as his facial expression fell, my heart dropped once I placed the look, he was tired. I was the reason for his exhaustion. He was right, I kept pushing him away. I don't how much longer he can hold on, and that scares the shit out of me. Why am I putting him through this?

I snapped out of my thought as he grabbed my hand, "Hey". He said as he leaned down to try to catch my eyes. "I'm not done, this isn't over… I'm going to keep fighting for you because I love you." He gently let go of my hand and brushed the hair out of my face. "But you have to promise me you'll fight for me too."