Yes, I Want To Write Professionally

Yes, I Want To Write Professionally

It's my one true passion.

41
Yes, I Want To Write Professionally

One of the biggest questions a college student can get is, "What's your ideal dream job?". The only acceptable answers for most people it seems are a doctor, an engineer, or a teacher. Whenever someone mentions a career path that won't make the most money, people automatically try to steer them in another direction.

So, when I get asked the question about what I want to do after college, I answer with "I want to be a writer.". The look I receive from most people who don't know me personally is off-putting. I usually quickly change my answer to publishing or working with social media for a company. This for some reason seems to become a more stable job.

It was only until recently when I saw a family member over the holidays that I decided to change my answer. He was someone who I never thought was reading my weekly articles. His stroke of confidence in me allowed me to fully accept that I have an amazing talent and I want to pursue it for the rest of my life.

Why should I have to pretend that something that truly brings me joy can't become my livelihood? Just because I may not be making as much money as the world famous doctor? It doesn't seem right.

Logically thinking, it is very hard to find a job as a writer. Which is why I will keep pursuing my passion on the side until I eventually get my break.

Writing has been something I have been so passionate about for most of my life. I always have a story swirling around in my mind, waiting to come out. It's almost like a stress reliever to be able to get it all out on paper.

While college doesn't always allow me to write, Odyssey does each week. This platform lets me write about any idea that is occupying my mind at the moment. It's also a great resume builder for when I start applying for writing jobs.

I have found that I no longer need to correct myself over something that brings me joy. Who cares what other people think? One day, I will be a successful writer and will show all those who ever doubted me that they were wrong.