What Writing Means to Me

What Writing Means to Me

It all begins with a word.

23
What Writing Means to Me

I fell in love with words and how they are used the moment I began really listening to the meanings of songs, I was probably in elementary school. I have always picked up on what a song was trying to say, which explains why I listen to the genres I do. Words, when used methodically, can explain so many wonderful feelings. Writing can be used as an outlet when no one else is there to hear you, the paper and pen will be your best friends. I love being able to write everything I feel because it is hard for me to explain them in person, but as soon as I write, people truly understand where I am coming from.

My passion for writing, however, didn’t begin until high school. I was a theatre kid but had no acting experience. I learned my strengths were never in presentation, but in what I could write. I still have my first screenplay. Then, when I was a junior, I was in Advanced Placement English Language and Composition, and thus a journalist was born. The class was revolved around non-fiction pieces and current events and how the author of the works used rhetoric to explain their points. I loved analyzing all the works which included many historical speeches (I get it from my mother). I had never looked at speeches like that until taking the class, it was beautiful. Before entering the class my writing was weak, my previous teachers told me my writing wasn’t “college level” and needed work, which is why I didn’t dual enroll at the local college to take English. I never was taught how to write like an adult, I was missing many things from my work that would make me such a better writer. My teacher truly inspired me to wanting to be a journalist so I can write to people how I view the world. Her criticisms, though harsh, made me such a better writer and made college much easier for me. I knew what I wanted to do, and all I wanted to do for the rest of my life was to write what my little heart desired.

Writing can be a very helpful way for me to deal with the stresses of life. I have struggled anxiety and being able to write how I am feeling or about what was going on in my life really has helped me cope better. Just like writing this article, I am getting my thoughts and feelings down and out of my head, which in return makes me feel better and gives you something to read and relate to. Writing has given me a creative way to express myself. I was never an artist or good at anything that made me read music. But writing has allowed me to express how I feel and in return has blessed me with a skill I will use in my future career path.

To anyone who wants to begin writing, it all starts with a word. Combine a few words and you will have a sentence, then a paragraph, a page, and soon an entire masterpiece all your own. Never be afraid to sit down and type or go old-school and use pen and paper. Never underestimate the power of words and what you and others have to say. Writing will make you more aware of what others are trying to express. You learn to pick up on body language on what words they are thinking. You will become a wiser individual once you begin writing. Remember, it all begins with one word.