Welcome To A Writer's World

Welcome To A Writer's World

Words from a misunderstood artist.

4
Welcome To A Writer's World
Clara Howell

Writing is an art.

Like the painter takes to their brush, the dancer takes to the stage and the sculptor takes to the clay; the writer takes to words.

The keyboard, the pen, the pencil. These are all mediums the writer's ability is electrified through. It's a skill that needs to be practiced like musical instruments need to be played daily. No matter the form, art skills need to be exercised like muscles to be successful. It's a talent that can take you far, or a talent that can bury you and go unnoticed.

For a writer, the taste for the written word can come naturally. It's a creative expression flowing from within and a gift crafted at the fingertips.

So, why are writers criticized for choosing writing as a career? Well, it's quite simple: writing is an art.

Writers do not get paid much and making an established living as a reporter or creative writer is hard. We get it. So, when people spew out the ungodly question about why you chose to receive a Bachelor of Arts, specifically in journalism or creative writing, give them the middle finger.

Unless it's your grandma. Then just kindly pat her on the back and say, "I'm only kidding," and walk away.

Aside from listening to other perspectives on your own interest, you need to, first and foremost, be a firm believer in yourself and what you can do with the written language. This is the first step to accepting your so-called "future doom." But you know what? You are doing what you love and no one should strip you from that because taking away a writer's passion is like stealing a runner's best pair of running shoes. You just don't do it.

On a more career-oriented standpoint, the skills that come from journalism and writing alone can be applied to all different kinds of professions. More than people know, more than you know. So, when you hear people mumble, "Well, newspapers are going out of business, so why be a reporter?" Or "How are you going to make money doing that?" Sit back, smile, don't argue, and just remember that you may not know it now, but your writing can carry you just as far as your feet can. The world is changing. Yes, there may not be a lot of newspaper jobs, but everything is going digital. And no, robots will not take over online writing platforms. Writers will always be needed to reveal emotion through words and uncover stories a technical robot just can't bring to life. In this generation, it might require a more well-rounded skill set, but hey, you'll be able to bring more to the table.

So, don't let go of your passion my fellow writers and don't cave in, listening to the voices of what some might say "reason." Life is worth living, if what you're alive doing, is worth it.