Writer's Block And How To Prevent It

Writer's Block And How To Prevent It

Cranking out even the most random words could result in an idea which could eventually turn into an A+ on an essay, or even a best selling novel.
42

Recently, I have found myself trapped in an unfortunate state of mind commonly known as writer's block. According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, "writer's block" can be defined as, a psychological inhibition preventing a writer from proceeding with a piece. However, writer's block can take many paths and varies from person to person. At one point or another, every writer, and person for that matter, has experienced some form of writer's block. This virus consumes its victims and leaves them feeling lost and empty-headed. Once it arrives it takes it's precious time and does not typically make a quick exit.

Personally, I know that I have been affected by writer's block multiple times in my life. Whether it be sitting at my desk staring at a blank computer screen or cuddled up in blankets staring at a blank piece of paper, I have had instances where I just could not find something to write about. I longed for a sudden idea to pop into my head to get my creative juices flowing so I could crank some words onto a page.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. it takes brain power and motivation to even conjure up an idea to consider writing about. Throughout my many experiences with this deplorable phenomena, I have been able to find ways to not cure, but treat my writer's block. In today's day and age, there are many ways in which one could stumble upon a topic in which one could write about.

For example, in my experience, one of the most effective ways to beat, or treat writer's block is to get words out. Cranking out even the most random words could result in an idea which could eventually turn into an A+ on an essay, or even a best selling novel. Allowing your stream of consciousness to flow from your brain out onto a piece of paper or a computer screen can result in a very successful piece of writing. Many of my greatest works of literature have begun through words I have gotten out in this manner.

Another tactic that could get someone a million dollar idea is to write while listening to music. Many people envision situations and stories when they are listening to music Jotting down what is going on in your brain while listening to these songs could lead to a flow of ideas. Although, if your mind still ends up going blank, you could try to write a story to go along with the lyrics of the said song that you are listening to. Or, if you are listening to instrumentals or classical you could describe how the music makes you feel.

Finally, if all else fails, look up writing prompts on the internet. Sure, these prompts have been misused and overused but with your own unique experiences and ideals, it is easy to take somebody else's ideas to make them your own. There are all kinds of prompts out on the internet corresponding to any genre you could possibly want to write about. You can find anything from horror or realistic fiction to news prompts.

Having this pinch of thought and imagination could be mixed together to create the perfect treatment for writer's block. Gaining access to other people’s ideas is a great because it allows you to see points of view other than your own. As long as you do not plagiarize, of course, it is an amazing way to start writing.

Writer's block is without a doubt one of the worst things, besides a computer dying, or a trusty journal going missing, that could ever happen to a writer. Do not let the virus consume you. The best way to beat writer's block is to write, and to keep writing even when it seems like you are getting nowhere. Use other people, your past experiences and the internet as your guides to creating successful pieces of writing. If you contribute enough work and effort, writer's block will never win and maybe could eventually be cured.

In the end, if nothing else comes to mind, just write about the epidemic of writer's block and how you don't know what to write about. It worked for me! Best of luck and happy writing!