Being A Writer And Facing Writer's Block

11
The Red Fish

At a very little age, I knew I enjoyed writing because it became something that I would just do naturally. It wasn't something that I would do every day but when the emotions hit, the pen would flow. When I was bored - I would write. It's something I still do to this day, but in a more committed way.

In fifth grade, I wanted to be a fashion designer. Going on my second year of college, I want to be a reporter and a writer. Writing is something that I could never trade in for anything because for the longer I struggled with what my true talent was. I never really considered writing as a talent. I just thought of it as something I did "well." I didn't see it as an art form. It wasn't like signing or dancing, it needed constant practice, but so did every other talent.

As I got older, I realized the beauty of writing - my writing. As I read more, the more I understood how my words could bring out the emotion in other people and transport them to another land. I wanted to be able to do that, so I wrote more. I practiced more in order to hone my skills. My habitual writing grew into a passion and my passion grew into me. I can safely say I would not be the same without my writing.

I am learning every day as a writer. I'm finding my style and discovering what works for me and what doesn't. By deepening my knowledge of everything around me, I am also deepening the vast array of inspiration around me. I am able to connect my writing to different historical facts and make connections to simple everyday life things in order to draw people in. I am learning to make people feel my pain, happiness, and sadness through my word choice.

Writing is a power and with power comes responsibility and sometimes that responsibility can be overbearing. As a writer, I am are constantly going through writer's block because I am constantly stressing myself out over what I am going to write next. Writing is not something you can force, but there are ways to bring about inspiration.

When I get to the point where I cannot think of anything else to write, I read. Well, I guess I should have mentioned I write poetry and short stories, therefore, I usually read poetry from poets I already like. I always end up coming across new poets who spark my interest and bring about a new sense of motivation in me. When reading does not work out, I tend to watch spoken word.

I am constantly on Youtube on the poetry channels watching performances of spoken word. I love to read something, then find that poet performing their work. It is one of the best feelings ever. You get to feel what I poet is feeling and something like that can send chills up your spine. I even do this when I'm writing papers for school. It's something about listening to spoken word that excites me and it makes me want to be able to do what I just felt to someone else.

Being a writer is hard. People are always expecting you to know how to phrase your words or to know the best things to say. Writing takes a lot of practice and it's something you have to be dedicated to. There will be ups and downs because like everything other passion, sometimes you will feel like it's pointless. You will want to give up, but you can't. When something is a passion the way writing is my passion, no matter how hard it gets, you never give up.

I am happy I never gave up and I had and still have people to support me along the way. I am currently working on a novel and I cannot wait until it is finished.