Write Your Life in Pencil, Not Pen

Write Your Life in Pencil, Not Pen

Be ready for Change, and expect it.

343
Write Your Life in Pencil, Not Pen
Eddy Tuller

I think a lot of us have this bold and big aspiration to do some amazing things with our life.

And sometimes we fail at it.

I see all my students that I am teaching right now, and most of them have these big amazing dreams that will take them to far-away lands and to far-reaching goals.

And there is nothing wrong with having dreams that huge and grotesque.

I think everyone needs to shoot for the stars and try to grasp their dreams.

But, I think sometimes we see those dreams as the ONLY possible outcome in our life, or we see the path that we are currently envisioning as the ONLY possible way to said dream or goal.

One of my best friends had aspirations to play ball in college.

And he could have.

But him and his girlfriend welcomed a beautiful little girl into the world, and it all changed.

70 hour work weeks; Countless Sacrifices; GED instead of Diploma.

But at the end of the day, and at the end of 7 years, now he is getting to go to school to chase another dream that was different from his original.

My point is that sometimes we focus too much on writing our life in Pen ("This is what I'm going to do. Period.") that we forget that our life is actually written with a pencil ("Let's shoot for this. Crap different direction. Changing direction again. Erase. Start a new line. Erase. Try this out. Erase. Next dream!").

One of the most misquoted verses in the Bible is Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord..."

This verse isn't written to every individual ever.

It was wrote to the nation of Israel when they were being conquered by the Assyrians and Babylonians, and taken into exile away from their homeland.

There were a bunch of priests and prophets lying and saying that God would bring them back soon, that this would only last for a couple years.

God wasn't telling them that.

Meanwhile, the prophet Jeremiah was speaking truth. He was telling them what God really was saying, that this exile would last 70 something years.

But in the midst of all this tragedy and decimation, God was telling them not to worry because this was all part of His plan.

We all know life can get crazy at times, and sometimes it throws us for pretty big loops that make us question a lot.

But don't worry or stress. It's all been planned.

Just erase, sharpen that pencil, and get back to writing.