Wrestling With Jesus' Nonviolent Way

Wrestling With Jesus' Nonviolent Way

How can we embrace the nonviolent ethic of Jesus in the midst of American culture?

14
Wrestling With Jesus' Nonviolent Way
Lennart Tange via Flickr.com

I saw Hacksaw Ridge in the theater this past weekend. It was, hands down, the best movie I’ve seen in years. I was lost in the movie as early as the first few scenes, and it’s still with me. There was no dull moment. I laughed, I gasped, I covered my mouth in horror, I cried, and I wanted to hug my neighbor. Can you ask for a better movie?!

I was drawn to Hacksaw Ridge because it’s the story of the first conscientious objector to win the Congressional Medal of Honor, and the nonviolent ethic of Jesus is something I’ve been wrestling with all year. This first came to my attention thanks to theologian Greg Boyd. Greg’s books, sermons, and articles have had a major impact on my spiritual growth for many years, and “the nonviolence thing” is one subject I could never quite accept. I discounted nonviolence as an ideal that is far too impractical for most, including me. This is the assumption of many who have bought into our cultural blend of Christianity and nationalism.

It’s worth noting that we’re not the first culture to fall into this trap. This cultural trend goes all the way back to the days of Constantine and the Roman Empire. Constantine is credited with fusing Christianity and the conquest for power, thereby introducing violence to a previously nonviolent Way. If these words trigger feelings of defensiveness or outrage, please know that I hear you. I was once one of you—a more extreme version of you, perhaps. During my freshman year of undergrad, I recall chewing out a sheepish kid who had the unfortunate coincidence of mentioning his position as a conscientious objector at the one and only bible study I attended that semester. This was my first encounter with the idea of nonviolence in the midst of conflict, and I was furious! My culturally shaped, then-biblically ignorant mind could not possibly fathom a Savior who doesn’t defend himself, his family, or his nation—much less a follower of that mindset.

I didn’t know it at the time, but Jesus says quite a lot about how to treat others. Here are just a few examples.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.” - Jesus (Matt. 5:38-42)

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them… But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” - Jesus (Luke 6:27-37)

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.” - Jesus (John 18:36)

Jesus also consistently demonstrated nonviolence. Despite all of the violent acts he endured, there is no scripture describing Jesus' passionate defense of himself. He also never counseled his apostles to react with violence. In fact, as he was being arrested—the moment when it would be easiest to justify violence—he scolded one of his apostles for trying to defend him.

Even after reading such clear passages and studying the work of Greg Boyd, Shane Claiborne, Bruxy Cavey and others, it took time for me to peel away my layers of defensiveness, cultural influence, and personal bias. It was, at times, a painful journey, but if my desire is to follow Jesus--and it is--then it is necessary to humbly reflect on how history and culture have influenced my faith.

Perhaps that’s why Hacksaw Ridge made such an impact on me; it gave me a chance to observe, in a relatively modern context, what it looks like to commit to Jesus’ nonviolent ethic, and it was more beautiful and inspiring than I ever imagined. I left the theater with no further excuse to hang on to my old ideas about the use of violence. I've studied God's Word, I've studied the work of theologians, and now I can say I've seen what it looks like. It seems that Hacksaw Ridge was the last stop in my journey to embracing the nonviolent ethic of the Way.