While we celebrate all the magic that December brings us, I can't help but remember what lies ahead. With only three semesters left, I feel as if I have college and professors down to a science. Syllabus week might seem like an extra week of break, but really it is where you can learn everything you need to know about the semester you have lying ahead of you. With that being said, there are certain things to listen for on syllabus week, and throughout the semester, that will let you know you have a rough road to ride.
1. “The final will be cumulative.”
The key phrase that lets you know you are in for a semester of hell and a long finals week.
2. “Your grade will be an average of your 4 exams.”
Nothing worse than knowing your big first flunk is going to affect your final grade more than it should.
3. “Attendance will count for 10% of your grade.”
Better go out and get some coffee, because you are going to be waking up early every day for the next 3 months.
4. “There will be a group project.”
Not only are you going to actually have to meet people in the class now, but you are also probably going to do the entire project yourself.
5. “Most people fail the first exam.”
Dear professors, this is NOT the way we want to start our semester.
6. “This is not an easy class. You will need to spend time reading each week to prepar for each class.”
Don't let the beginning of the year enthusiasm fool you. You will definitely not end up reading that textbook.
7. “The textbook is required and you will need the online code to submit homework.”
I swear professors think we are made of money. Do they not remember what it was like to be in college?
8. “You need to put away all technology during lectures.”
It is like a path back to grade school. Warm up your hands because you are going to be writing your notes this semester, and there is no way that you get it all right.
9. “Put away everything except a pencil. We are having a quiz.”
You can't trust a professor who gives pop quizzes.
10. “There will be homework following each lecture.”
Join a GroupMe or make a friend in the class because homework every night will make for a long semester if you are in it alone.
If you hear any of these ten things, prepare yourself for a tough semester. You can do it, but it won't be as easy as having a professor who doesn't take attendance!