5 Worst Moments In X-Men Cinematic History

X-Men movies have a record for being terrible and down right pathetic.

284
Youtube

In the X-Men comics, Phoenix obliterated entire planets, Rogue permanently absorbed the powers of Ms.Marvel, Iceman froze over hell, Storm channeled the power of her powerful witch ancestry. It’s possible that at this point Bryan Singer will never be able to create or direct a worthy X-Men film. The laziness of his choices ranges from the superhero costumes, storylines, villains, and basically everything else.

With every upcoming film, diehard Marvel fans awaken from their comic book hibernation with the same craving. They hope to be shivering by the end of the movie because of how stellar and original it was. Basic watchers might forgive the creators for wrecking people's childhood treasures, but many won’t forgive the terrible portrayals of Mutant Superpowers. Alpha mutants is an understated category for the Mutants who deserve power beyond our imagination. They haven't even tried to accomplish these visual concepts with CGI. Now that's when you know the movies are lethargic.

The surface has only ever been grazed, while the floor is always left untouched. There's so many mistakes, mishaps, and errors to choose from, but there are five I believe stand out beyond all others. The upcoming film, "Dark Phoenix" is coming out in 2019 and it's important to remind yourself how terrible previous X-Men movies have been and how improved they should be in 2018 and the years to come

5. Rachel Summers isn't Kitty Pryde

Kitty Pryde had a small cameo in 'Days of Future Past", but her powers served greatly throughout the film since the plot was centered on time travel. Kitty Pryde from the comics has the power to phase through objects and walls. This ability was seen in the movie, though oddly enough, she had a new set of time traveling powers as if she acquired a secondary mutation since the last time we saw her on screen. Quite a few comic-book fans were left scratching their heads because those powers should have belonged to a different member of the X-Men, Rachel Summers.

The future daughter of Jean Grey and Scott Summers. Why couldn't they give her a role in the movie rather than rewriting the history of the X-Men? In the timeline, Rachel and Kitty worked together to change the past and prevent Senator Kelly's assassination. By portraying the original story on the big screen, viewers could have been introduced to a new world of Mutants. Not to include this story led to Rachel Summers becoming apart of the Phoenix Force.

The eighth biggest mistake Bryan Singer made was attempting to replace a character by using an entirely different character. Kitty Pryde was underdeveloped and not appropriately cast. Watchers deserved a young X-Man coming into their powers among the ranks of Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, and in this case of "Days of Future Past", Rachel Summers.

4. A Disastrous Storm

For some reason, fans caused a huge uproar over Halle Berry playing Storm. I never saw it, but after rewatching the earlier movies it's clear why. The script written around her character was horrible. Cheesy lines and never the fierceness we see in the comics. Ororo Monroe the princess, the leader, the goddess. She seemed to mostly follow the leadership of Beast and Wolverine when she is supposed to be the one everyone looks too.

The mistake with Storm in the X-Men trilogy was she wasn't focused on or even played to the part she deserved to be. She was just another X-Men character in a film. After the first movie, Halle Berry abandoned the accent dedicated to Storms origins. Her life as a pickpocket was never explored and neither was her history with the Shadow King ever mentioned. The role Storm felt contrived and most of that is to blame on Bryan Singer.

"X-Men Apocalypse" didn't do much better either with a new and reinvented punk Storm. She wasn't given much screen time, but we did get a small look into her life as a pickpocket in Africa. From the beginning of the movie, it seemed like Alexandra Shipp could finally do justice to the role of Storm, but we never see get to experience the full force of her powers.

The most we see her do on screen is create mist, manipulate lightning, and cause snow or thunderstorms. Storm doesn't just control a few aspects of the weather on Earth, she controls all forms of weather manipulation. She can flash freeze people, create toxic fog or turn rain into acid, she can manipulate the air in a person's lungs, and Storm even has powers outside of weather manipulation.

She is capable of channeling magic because of the sorceress blood that runs through her bloodline. It was a huge mistake for the X-Men movies to continue on casting Storm when they never committed to making her the best she could be for watchers.

3. Jason Stryker

Besides Jean Grey channeling the Phoenix Force at the end of X2, the scene with Jason Stryker and Professor X was pretty epic. Charles Xavier is an Alpha-Level Telepath which was definitely proven when he almost decimates the entire race of Mutants.

I won't delve deep into the concern, but some watchers were astonished a lesser psychic could manipulate Professor X when he would overpower him a thousand to one. Discarding that thought, anyone can depict the scene as a showcase for the Mutant's to show their max potential.

But one thing I've learned about Marvel Films is they always manage to screw it up.

In both the movie and the comics, Jason Stryker was the son of William Stryker and a mutant, but he didn't have the power to cast illusions in the comics. Instead, he had the power to emit a blinding light from his body that could knock people out. It seems strange how they could just give him a new power like they did Shadowcat, but in fact, they stole it from an X-Men villain, Mastermind. Once again, it's agitating to find out they'd rather replace characters than allow them to be in the movie.

Mastermind's real name was also Jason. He was a mutant with the power to cast illusions. He is a very powerful player in the comics, being the sole mutant who awoke the Dark Phoenix inside of Jean Grey. No doubt his powers could prove strong against Professor X's resistance. They made a wrong choice by not using him as his original self. A choice that has been decided for many other characters as well.

2. Darwin's Death

Darwin's mutant ability makes him instantaneously adaptive to whatever situation he's in. For example, if placed in an anti-gravity environment, the density of his body will increase; if injected with poison, his blood will develop an antitoxin to the poison; if a shield is placed over his eyes he will acquire night vision, ultraviolet vision, electromagnetic vision, and etc.

He can conquer anything and is basically immortal. In the comics, he could swallow a million nuclear blasts and still live to tell the tale. In "X-Men: First Class",this fact is forgotten since he was the very first mutant to die. It's questionable whether the writers were a bunch of noobs or maybe got their Marvel comics mixed up with DC.

In the movie, Darwin should have been able to absorb all the energy Sebastian Shaw placed within him, but somehow the energy became too much and Darwin combusted into nothingness. The amount of potential wasted was just unforgivable. He's arguably the most powerful mutant to ever live and that was arguably the worst in all of X-Men movie history.

1. The Phoenix is a Cosmic Entity

Jean Grey has always been a personal favorite of mine, especially since I grew up fantasizing about the Phoenix Force. Her role in the movies may seem outrageously real and stunning, but to me each time Jean Grey has starred in an X-Men movie, I am left angry and utterly disgusted. The Phoenix is a Cosmic Entity, not a Hellfire Demon. Her eyes were glazed over black which reminded me of a demon's eyes. Flames flicked off the back of her hair, but that doesn't show us a host of the Phoenix.

The Phoenix is most notably recognized by the shape it takes over its host. The fiery aura of an actual Phoenix bird. We were never granted the luxury of this sight in the third film. It was strange looking at the Phoenix in "X-Men The Last Stand" compared to how she should have looked in from out of the comics. Her costume was atrocious. It wasn't influenced by any of her Phoenix costumes or X-Men uniforms. The least they could have done was throw the Phoenix signal on her chest.

The Phoenix's array of powers were limited and weak in the film. It was as if the Phoenix had woken from a sleep and was only half awake. When Jean Grey became one with the Phoenix, it augmented her powers to Cosmic Level heights. The Dark Phoenix is based on destruction, but even still it's capable of doing a lot more things just than destroying everything on a subatomic level.

Throughout most of the film, Jean is quite and controlled by Magneto. She possessed an unstable entity inside of her, but yet she only did anything when someone physically or verbally attacked her first. The Dark Phoenix wasn't explored or developed in a way that contributed to her powers or the plot.

I was really looking forward to seeing the story dive deeper into the history of Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force. Hopefully the upcoming X-Men film, "Dark Phoenix", will learn from the five worst scene out of all X-Men movies and give the viewers want and desire to see.