I'm always in awe of those who are comfortable with icebreakers, especially large group ones.
To me, icebreakers do everything but break the ice, most of the time. I become more self-conscious because icebreakers are usually done with strangers or acquaintances, and of course, I don't want to start off on a bad note with those who I barely know.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy getting to know people, but icebreakers are not the way to do it — at least not these ones.
This one mainly applies to those in college. You may do the renown name, year, major, and fun fact icebreaker if you're in a small class or if you're at a social gathering where everyone may not know each other.
I have no problem saying my name, year, and major, but when it comes to the fun fact part, I blank (or perhaps I'm simply not fun). You have people who've traveled to over 10 countries, hunted alligator, or speak three languages. How can I top that? I can't.
Two truths and a lie
I think that this one is worse than the name, year, major, and fun fact because two truths and a lie is essentially trying to come up with three fun "facts" about yourself.
I can barely come up with one mediocre one, so how am I going to come up with three? The key here is to not make your lie blatantly obvious/not obvious at all or else this will defeat the purpose of the icebreaker, and not to mention that I can never come up with these things on the spot.
The name game
There are variations to this one, but the most common name game that I've come across is to go around in a circle and say your name.
The catch is that you have to say the name of the person right before you, so the chain gets progressively longer as you go around.
The first person has it easy because they only have to say their name, but the last person has it rough because they have to remember everyone who came before them.
I was that last person once, and let me tell you, it was incredibly awkward when I only could remember every third person's name.
Highs and lows
This is one that I've done recently, and it's not as bad as the previous three, but still pretty bad. In this icebreaker, each person says one high or good thing and one low or bad thing that has happened to them during the week.
99% of my lows come from stressing about academics and the remaining 1% are my highs which come from actually eating three meals a day. I'm pretty sure many people don't find my highs and lows very interesting.
Where the wind blows
This one is probably my least favorite. In short, the game starts with a person standing in the middle who says, "The wind blows to everyone who..." let's say, "has short hair," and everyone sitting in the circle with short hair has to get up and find a different seat, and there will always be one less seat than there are people.
Whoever doesn't get a seat now has to go in the middle. It's basically a combination of monkey in the middle and musical chairs. I just don't want to be the one in the middle standing awkwardly unsure of what to say for the next round. It feels as if a spotlight is put on you, and I don't need that kind of attention.