An Explanation Of The World's Obsession With 'The Greatest Showman'

It is quite literally "the greatest show..."

719
YouTube

A movie with Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, and Zendaya?! (If you know me, you know my love for Zendaya..)

Better yet, it's a musical?! *fangirling ensues*

As soon as I saw the advertisements for "The Greatest Showman" I knew I was going to be obsessed.

I couldn't be less surprised that the movie has become one of the largest word-of-mouth hits in Hollywood history.

Honestly there's nothing I don't love about this movie but here's three major reasons I will probably never stop talking about how good this movie was.

1. The Music

The music for this movie is arguably one of the best movie soundtracks that I have heard in a long, long time. From Hugh Jackman to Zac Efron and Zendaya to Keala Settle, none of the songs disappoint.

Seriously, there is a song on this soundtrack for any type of music you want to listen to. Love song? "Rewrite the Stars." Pump-up song? "The Greatest Show." (Seriously, my best friend and I work out to this song on the daily). Inspirational song to get you motivated? "This Is Me." In a bad mood and want to wallow in self pity? "Never Enough" is the way to go.

All of the artists on this album are so talented and each bring their unique voice into a mix that makes this soundtrack so incredibly good.

2. That it's based off a true story

One of the coolest things about the movie for me personally was knowing that the story was based off real events. After seeing the movie I did a lot of reading about P.T. Barnum and how he established the first circus.

To be fair, not every character is based on a real person. Some are, like Keala Settle's character of the bearded lady, Lettie Lutz and Sam Humphrey's character of Tom Thumb. (Side note- Keala Settle wow, her talent is off the charts and she steals the show).

Both Zac Efron and Zendaya's respective characters of Philip Carlyle and Anne Wheeler are made up, but I am not complaining.

One, their chemistry in this movie is too good. I have been non-stop watching interviews and considering they met for the first time on this film, they play such a good couple.

Also Zendaya slays, always.

The relationship between Efron's character and Zendaya was easily my favorite part of the movie. It shows a very realistic struggle between two people who want to be together but feel like they can't because of how society might react.

Overall the entire movie has an awesome message about how it's 100% okay to be yourself, no matter what other people might think about it.

3. Seeing Zac Efron in a musical again

He stole every teenage girl's heart in "High School Musical" and did it again in "Hairspray," but Zac Efron has strayed away from musicals the past several years. Finally seeing him dance and sing again is reason enough to see the movie.