6 Tips Every Restaurant Guest Absolutely Needs To Follow

Yes, employees in restaurants are there to give service with a smile, but that doesn’t mean you should treat them like dirt.

44

Everybody loves food and going to great restaurants to get the best kinds of food. More often than not, I myself usually spend my weekends hanging out with friends at different restaurants to enjoy their unique and delicious foods. However, like anything in life, things can sometimes go wrong in restaurants.

Sometimes orders don’t get rung in right or computer systems just decide to “nope” out and completely crash during busy business hours. Ever since I started working in food service, I always make sure to check myself and remember how difficult it is for me dealing with customers who just don’t get it and I always strive to never be that customer.

Yes, employees in restaurants are there to give service with a smile, but that doesn’t mean you should treat them like dirt, which is something I’ve seen happen a lot. In light of that, here are some tips to future or past guests of restaurants to keep in mind so you don’t always become that customer.

1. Don’t be difficult.

Having worked in the food industry for almost four years at two different establishments, it seems to me these types of guests are everywhere. I know it might seem tempting to just throw a hissy fit in the middle of a restaurant to get what you want, but sometimes you just have to take a step back.

Am I being reasonable? These employees are just doing their job. Do I really need to demand a manager to fix this problem? I can live without a few cents being taken off my check.

Please, try to keep these things in mind when going into a restaurant with a coupon clearly labeled for TAKE-OUT ONLY or that has a definite expiration date on it that says it’s no longer valid. (Yes, I’ve actually had guests argue with me about coupons that have expired a year ago…)

And, as mentioned before, computer systems can and will crap out at their leisure. It’s not something that can be prevented or something that can be fixed with a snap of a finger. And, yes, it does mean it will take a little longer for your food to come out. So please, try to take into consideration the amount of stress the employees undergo when something catastrophic like a computer system meltdown happens.

Also, don’t be that customer who constantly asks about their name on a waitlist. I promise we have it down, but people who make reservations are the ones who will get seated first, no matter what. Please, try to be patient.

2. Menu changes happen all the time.

Every few months or so, new items get added to menus all the time and other items, subsequently, get taken off. It doesn’t matter if it was something you personally really enjoyed.

If the Head Honcho of a corporate office in another state sees the sales for a certain item aren’t up to par or that making the item far outweighs its success rate, they have every right to take that item off the menu.

So, yes, even if it was your favorite, please keep in mind us simple employees really have no say at all as to what items stay and what ones get added. And, no, just because you were able to bully another employee to do it for you last time doesn’t mean we can do it again this time.

3. My manager will 9/10 say the same thing I’m saying to you now.

We have rules and regulations we need to follow and the managers follow the exact same ones. I mean, that kind of says it all…

4. Don’t let your children run rampant through the restaurant.

It’s a safety hazard and it’s annoying not just to the employees, but to the other guests. Also, no, you don’t have to clean your child’s mess but please keep in mind one of us has to. And it gets really aggravating when we have to clean your child’s giant mess while we have a long line of people waiting to get a table.

I get it; kids are messy. Believe me, I know. But tidying up a little bit would be a great help. Please be considerate.

5. Please don't ask a million questions about the menu.

Nine times out of ten, all the questions you have can be answered if you just take the time to read the menu. I’m not saying you have to come in already prepared with a note reminding you of what you want. Nobody does that.

What I am saying is that you can easily check the menu for the salads or soups we have instead of having your server recite it for you. Plus, they most likely have a line of people waiting to order behind you or they have ten other tables to take care of. Again, please be considerate.

6. We always appreciate really nice, funny, understanding guests.

It’s always really nice to have kind-hearted guest(s) tell us they get it or that we’re doing a great job when we’ve had a really busy, stressful, aggravating day. If you’re a customer who comes to an establishment and just has a really cheery, bright attitude, my heart will melt and I have to resist the urge to hug you.

Being nice is free, folks. If you’re kind to your server or cashier, they’ll be nice right back even if they’ve had the worst day ever. I mean, we still have to be nice to you anyway, but it’s always really great to have that one customer that just gets it.

Please remember to be nice to anyone you encounter in the food industry. It’ll make us happy and it’ll probably make you feel good, too, knowing you brightened someone’s day.