9 Struggles All Students Who Work On-Campus During College Understand

Hang on, it'll all be worth it in the end.
145

College is expensive and for some, it is the first time we have jobs. For others, they continue working like they did in high school, but for all of us its hard to adjust the overload of school work and the lack of money in your bank account. It gets a little tricky sometimes.

1. Running into your supervisors on campus

It's really embarrassing when you’re acting like an idiot with your friends and just being you and accidentally run into your supervisor. Things get awkward really fast, especially if they think you’re some kind of polite, respectful angel before they catch you telling fart jokes with your friends.

2. Sometimes it gets embarrassing

Waiting on your classmates gets to be humiliating sometimes because you feel almost like a lower class to them because you have to do basically whatever they ask you to and smile while doing it even if they are rude.

3. Not getting much experience

Because there are so many people on campus and so many things that need to be done, all the jobs are sectioned off and very specific. Like, there are dish people and then there are pots people and they never really see each other even though their jobs are very similar. But, because of the specialized system, we aren’t getting a very wide range of experience. My experience in the dining hall is narrow but very extensive when it comes to the beverage stations.

4. Having a limit on the number of hours you can work

I’m not sure if other schools do this, but at Illinois State students can only work a max of 29 hours a week and only 10 a day if you’re working for the university (i.e. dining hall, administration office, basically any job on campus.) Its very unfortunate that when you have time to work a bunch of hours one week, you can’t because the school won’t let you. I understand that we’re here to learn not to work, but if you can swing it, why not?

5. Working a lot and letting your academics slide a little

Unless you are a master juggler, you find it very hard to multi-task. Sometimes, whilst trying to put your all into your work and doing the best you can, you gently set your academics onto the backburner. You forget to turn in an assignment or lose track of a project deadline.

6. Getting little pay for dealing with rude college kids

People can be very rude when you inconvenience them. I work in the dining hall closing the beverage stations at night and people get very offended when I tell them they can’t use the chocolate milk because we already cleaned it. Like, it’s not personal, but they act as if you have shut down the drink station closest to them just to screw up their entire day and not because its almost closing and you need to clean it, so everyone can go home.

7. Finding time to work between classes

It's really hard to find time to actually work because you have so much going on with projects, research, studying, labs, there is a lot that needs to be done and so little time to do it.

8. Not having any time for friends

It’s a really bad feeling when you can’t hang out with your friends because you have to work, and you see them around your place of work, which immediately results in you getting FOMO (aka fear of missing out.)

9. Missing games and other campus activities because you’re working them

It's like you are there and physically you are, but you really aren’t because you have to focus on doing your job and making sure things go well so you can really join in on the festivities.

Were any of these relatable? Did they make you realize that you forgot something? Keep hanging in there. It’ll all be worth it in the end.