What Working Backstage Is Really Like

What Working Backstage Is Really Like

Being a technician is hard work, but we are the glue of the project.

Theatre and Dance productions are a favorite for many people. The glitz and glamour of live action is something you have to admire, but have you ever thought about how everything runs so smoothly?

Thank your Techs.

Technicians run in a variety of roles: Stage Managers, Assistant Stage Managers, Lighting, Scenic, Wardrobe, and Sound, are just a few. They are the ninjas of the night who run around triple-checking everything to ensure the show goes on!

If you aren't familiar with the jobs of a tech, no matter their title, I'll give you a little insight. We deal with tears, blood, and just about every cord and stitch imaginable. We wear all black, because we move around set to do quick changes, scene, and lighting changes, and also try to find the thing someone can't find themselves.

The most hectic part of our jobs resides pre and post-show. We get there before the actors and dancers and leave well after they have left. We ensure all things are in their correct place before we start, and we make sure everything is put back, and all is clean and tidy. Don't get me wrong, we definitely stress during the show, with lights, props, costume changes and catastrophes, but they're typically a breeze once we have done a few rehearsals.

Although being backstage can be very hectic, I would not trade a minute of my job for another one. Being able to be hands-on with a production and how it works is an experience like no other, and that is why I chose this profession.

Just remember, the next time you go to the Theatre, pray for the Techs, and admire all of our hard work, just as you would the performer.