How To Get Work Done Without Falling Asleep

for those late nights of your eyes burning like mad, and those classes of head bobbing the next day

16
Flickr

We're getting into that time of year where school is now in full swing. Homework is piling up as it does every year, and we are all asking ourselves every Monday how we will survive the coming weeks. The nights of staying up until 1:30, 2:30 and beyond are upon us. Sometimes we may have a couple of these nights in a row. Then the new question becomes, "How will I be able to stay awake in class tomorrow?" So here is a guide to help you not fall asleep, whether you are trying to get everything done for the next day, or if you are trying to stay awake in class.

So you're sitting and looking at the mountain of work before you and realizing that it will take you at least until 2am to finish it all. Maybe you just came back from a sport's game or a work shift or every teacher that you have decided to have all of their projects and essays and tests all due on the same day. You see this mountain and you know that you have to finish it all, but your eyes are already burning and you can barely keep them open. Trust me, I've been there. Many, many times. So here are some tips to help get you through the fun night ahead.

1. Take frequent breaks.

Get up, stretch, walk around, don't let yourself stay still for too long. Do some jumping jacks, burpees or run up and down the halls. Sitting still for a long time is a surefire way for you to fall asleep. Yes, even with the lights on sitting in your Levi's it can happen, no doubt about it. And hey, you're even getting in a quick workout while you're at it.

2. COFFEE, COFFEE, AND MORE COFFEE

If you love coffee, you are most definitely one of the lucky ones, as that is a true gift. I personally find it to be incredibly bitter no matter how much sugar or flavored creamers I put into it. However, I will say that it truly works wonders. Your eyes can be burning like mad. But once your tumbler of coffee is downed, the burning is gone and you feel that you can stay up forever. So sometimes you've just got to suck it up (literally).

3. Wash your face with cold water.

This is another very refreshing and effective way to not fall asleep when doing homework. I mean, if it was on iCarly, then naturally it must be certifiable, right? :)

4. Stay snacking.

Constantly snacking on crackers or chips, or eating an apple can also be a great way to stay awake, especially if supplementing one of the other methods. Plus, who doesn't like snacks?

5. Take mini-naps/wake up extra early.

Mini naps should be used as a last resort, because they can be dangerous. Make sure that your alarm is on full volume, and that your phone has plenty of charge and is not on silent. Also put it close enough to hear and far enough away so that you can't just hit the snooze or off button easily. This mini nap should be no more than 30 minutes and used if all else fails and you truly cannot stay awake for another second. Same goes for waking up early. Make sure you do not hit snooze or have your alarm off, or you are doomed. Your only way out is faking sickness and staying home from school. Hopefully, you're a good actor.

6. Do work at a desk, not on your bed.

This makes the temptation to sleep much less. While a wooden chair may be much more uncomfortable, that is pretty much the point.

So by using any combination of methods you make it to the next day. Unfortunately while in class, you cannot get up and walk around the classroom or wash your face with cold water. While you can still continue with your coffee and snacking, here are a few more options to keep the head bobbing to a minimum (you know the feeling. You're falling asleep and your head tilts farther and farther backward until SNAP! It flings forward and scares the crap out of you). To fight the urge to sleep, especially when the teacher turns the lights off, you can try these methods.

6. Chew some gum.

This helps your mind stay concentrated on the constant chewing and is a good way to fight the tiredness.

7. Doodle or write down some notes.

When your pen stops moving, you start snoozing. Don't put that pen down, whatever you do.

8. DO NOT PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN.

This is a staying awake death sentence. I know you're thinking, "I'll still write my notes or watch the video with my head on the desk." NO. THIS CAN NOT HAPPEN.

9. Hold your feet hovering off the ground for as long as you can.

Lift your feet off of the ground under your desk and see how long you can hold them there. This will keep you focused in a boring class and also give you some really strong quads by the end of the year. That's what I call a win-win situation.

Hope these help you combat sleep in the many coming weeks of school. The urge to sleep is great, but having good grades is even greater, and your future self will thank you later.