Work Values

I don't mean to be too political here, but recently after watching some White House officials make gargantuan mistakes regarding facts, data, and plagiarism, a few thoughts occur in my mind: why are they still employed? Recently, White House Senior Policy Advisor Stephen Miller came under fire on ABC News because he made claims that there are millions of voter fraud instances in America. His only source of proof? He insisted to ABC Journalist George Stephanopoulos, to go down to New Hampshire and talk to people, assuring that voter fraud is all over the country. Stephanopoulos informed Miller that he had in face provided no evidence prior to the interview.

Recently Sean Spicer has become the laughing stock of America, stating false facts regarding the 2017 Inauguration's population turnout, and being agitated towards journalists when asked fair questions. After several attempts to regain balance and professionalism, Spicer has now made it to satire shows such as "Saturday Night Live"; the source material coming from Spicer's actual claims he's made.

Finally, let's not forget Anthony Weiner, a politician who was caught multiple times sexting other women while in office, yet he still remains a (somewhat) prominent and relevant person in politics today, maintaining some influence and composure.

So overall, it's interesting how many high-paid officials keep their jobs in politics. Do they maintain their jobs because they are the most qualified for the position, or do they have a strong set of ethical values for whom they work for? Which one's more important in today's society? Both are important, yes, but if one tipped the scale, pertaining to it's importance, which would it be: ethics or experience?

Small businesses and corporations should always have a code of guidelines and rules, as well as method to educate their employees on ethical values. Some common traits of ethics I believe that are common are: avoiding plagiarism, stating the correct amount of data and information, and incentives for whistle-blowers. When working for a company, does the employer care more about your ethical background, or your efficiency in getting a job done? And lastly, if the people listed above have shown instances of plagiarism, sexual harassment, and false facts, what does that say about them and those who hired them? To me, that is a very serious question.