No, Working In Cosmetics Doesn't Make Me Shallow.

It's actually quite rewarding.

6

When I was growing up make up was far from my mind. I never wanted to learn how to contour or do a cut-crease, instead I wanted to be the first female president, or a doctor who saved people. I wanted to be someone who made a difference in others lives. I wanted to grow up and help others.

So when I became a pre-teen and makeup suddenly became super important to those around me, I was kind of shocked. I thought "Aren't we a little young for makeup?" But joining the fad was natural. As a pre-teen all you want is to fit in, and feel cool. So I started my addiction...clear mascara, brown or blue eyeshadow, pink lip gloss, and some kind of powder I found while sneaking in my mom's makeup (Sorry mom!).

After years of practice (and graduating to MUCH better products...) I fell in love. I found myself working at a makeup counter in a popular store in our town mall. I went to school (a two day training course by the company) and learned so much more.

Makeup is a way to feel confident, it's not a way to cover yourself up. It's a way of highlighting what I'm proud of, as well as a way to show the world what I'm capable of. Doing make up is NOT easy. It's a skill that takes time and effort.

Makeup is an art, your face is a canvas. You can create anything you want. You can be bold, timid, wild, or tamed. You can play around with colors, or play it safe. You can do anything your mind allows, without having to worry. That's what makeup is all about! Fun!

When people walk up to the counter I always tell them to think of it as a playground, because that's what makeup should be viewed as!

I like makeup because it can cause an insecure young girl, or even a shameful and timid older lady to blossom before your eyes. Hearing someone say "you made me look so beautiful" is a feeling that is beyond amazing. Knowing you made someone feel more confident and sent them home with products to continue this is so rewarding. People think that working in makeup makes a person shallow, or mean, but that is far from the case. I work with some of the most amazing, sweet, kind-hearted, and honest people I know. When you walk up to a makeup counter, you're walking into a family. A family who all want to make YOU feel like the star that you are!

And though I may only be working in this department throughout college, I can honestly say it has made me a better person. I may not be a doctor, or a president, but I do change peoples lives, and help them in ways they didn't know were possible.

And that alone is the most rewarding part of the job.