Summer Internship Work From Home
Life Stages

9 Ways To Work Like A Boss Without Leaving Your Home

Because an internship doesn't have to involve driving to an office at 7 am.

307
https://pixabay.com/en/coffee-food-cup-drink-table-3253354/

This summer, my internship enabled me to work from home. This was the first job that didn't require me to commute to work every day, and to be honest, while working from home is definitely different I really enjoy it. In case you're thinking of working from home, here's what you need to know:

1. "Work attire" is whatever you feel like wearing...

Want to wear your PJs all day? Go for it. It's a laundry day and none of your tops and pants left in your closet match? No problem.

2. But make sure you have nice shirts available for video calls.

You can still wear sweatpants, just make sure that you have a few nice button-downs or blouses.

3. For some reason, freshly made lunches are so much better.

I know it sounds weird, but for whatever reason, I found that a sandwich or salad that I just made tasted way better than a sandwich or salad that I had made at 7 am then stored in the break room fridge until 12:30.

4. Distractions still exist...

You might think distractions only exist in an office (the girl in the cubicle next to you who chews gum louder than you knew was possible, or the guy sitting behind you who listens to music without headphones. But, distractions will still be there when you work from home, whether it's your neighbor who just got a new ride-on mower, or your dog, who barks every time someone walks by the house.

5. But so do methods of blocking them out.

Move to a different room, listen to music on headphones, or even get earplugs.

6. If you live with your parents, they might not understand that you're working.

But to be honest, if I were a parent and my college-aged kid was spending all day in their room on their computer, I might assume that they were just going online or talking to their friends instead of working. But if you feel like your parents are accusing you of not working, you can always show or explain to them what you're doing.

7. It might be tempting to not work a full day...

Since you're working by yourself, there's no one there to regulate how long you work for.

8. But don't do it.

Skipping work hours or days can build bad habits. After all, if you end up working from home after you graduate, you'll need to be able to work by yourself, Monday through Friday, from nine to five.

9. Make sure you have everything you need to be able to work from home.

A good internet connection, a laptop, chargers, a webcam for Skype meetings, notebooks, and pens are a few of the things you should have if you're working from home. Keep everything you need in one spot. If you have a desk in your room, you can set it up to be a workstation so that you don't lose or misplace anything.