5 Words to avoid in your writing

Many of us struggle when it comes to avoiding basic vocabulary. It is common for all of us to overuse phrases and words within our essays. These are a few words to avoid and words to use instead.

1. Very

C'mon, very? There are so many other words and terms to enhance the next word or phrase. You're not in middle school and your writing shouldn't be stuck there either.

Alternatives:

Extremely, Substantially, Absolutely, Awfully, Certainly, Decidedly, Deeply, etc.

2. Like

Nearly as bad as "very. "Actually, they're about the same. Writers should refrain from using these as much as they can.

Alternatives:

Comparable, Related, Similar, Parallel, Relating, Matching, etc.

3. Really

This is an excruciatingly bland word. Not only are there much more sophisticated terms that can spice up your writing, repeating "really" in every few sentences can get old fast.

Alternatives:

Absolutely, Unquestionably, Certainly, Easily, Admittedly, etc.

4. In fact

I would advise you to approach the term "in fact" with caution. There is definitely a time and place for it, but every paragraph is a big no-no.

Alternatives:

Indeed, Literally, Genuinely, In reality, etc.

5. Of course

Simple phrases such as "of course" are also going to be found all over many works of literature. Although this is the case, sound more intelligent by choosing others.

Alternatives:

By any means, Definitely, Surely, Naturally, Undoubtedly, etc.