Words To The Social Media Generation: Keep Doing What You're Doing

Sorry, but we won't stop advancing.

The older generations try to shame us into thinking that using our phones and connecting with others through means of social media is wrong. You should never tweet out what you are thinking, never ever post a selfie on Instagram, quit making live videos of your adventures, and definitely stop snapchatting your friends. My response to that is no. With all due respect to the elder generations, why are we not allowed to use what technology is relevant? Why are we being shamed for being a part of our generation? This is all quite unfair.

Each generation had its own type of technology, and maybe I am just unaware of the tech-shaming they received, but why can’t we revel in our newest findings? We have the ability, now more than ever, to make and keep connections with people, all over the world. How cool is that? Did you ever think that maybe we could be the next peacemakers? Making all these connections and keeping them strong makes us more versed in world culture than most of the generations before us. We have the abilities to research anything we want. While some things may not be the truth, we have the ability to search out and find what we need. And yes, we still do go to the library; it isn’t some empty room in our school withholding all the books. It allows us to network with other professionals and make better connections. I legitimately found out about this internship with Odyssey through a Facebook page the application was shared on. I otherwise would not have had such an amazing opportunity given to me, being from a very small town.

Over the years, each generation seemed to have their own thing. From short haircuts and risky dancing to literally leaving home to do drugs and live a free life, but why is this any different? Isn’t it much safer than some of the iconic symbols that came from some generations?

I think we should take full control of what we have available to us. We are a whole new generation that is able to develop brand new ways to use technology. From things as simple as keeping connected with friends and family to things larger than us, like medical advances, why should we stop evolving? I do not see a reason to tell us we are wrong for being in love with social media. For me, I’ve gained confidence in myself, the ability to form posts and emails in a professional manner, and have created amazing connections I otherwise never would have had the chance to make.

So what if I want a few likes on my selfie to make me feel a little better about myself? I don't see why a little confidence boost is such a bad thing. So what if tweeting sad song lyrics helps my bad day out a little bit? I don't see why there's anything wrong with a little release. So what I like to live video the adventures of my hike? I want to include my friends in on my fun, and there is nothing wrong with that. And as for my 200 day streak, I don't see what is wrong with staying connected to one of my best friends I never get to see. We got pretty lucky to be able to keep in contact with so many people, and meet so many people because of social media. I never would've gotten to be really close with my best friend because our friendship started over talking on Snapchat. I know I am not alone on any of these things. I know there are thousands, if not millions, of other people around my age that feel the same way.

So, keep taking selfies, documenting your trips, and discovering new ways to connect with people from all over. We are the generation of technology and we have the chance to evolve it. Take your social media and run with it, create iconic things. Use technology in the best ways possible and keep advancing forward. Don’t take no for an answer. Let’s make this our positive mark on the world.