Women's Clothing That ISN'T See-Through Is Apparrently Too Much To Ask For

Women's Clothing That ISN'T See-Through Is Apparrently Too Much To Ask For

Seriously, I don't want to wear four layers just for you to not see my bra!

895

Women's clothing: the topic of many conversations starting as early as elementary school. Different problems arise as what's "in style" changes and as girls grow into women.

We're told from a young age that how we dress is vital to our daily lives, and with strict dress codes, we are told that covering up every inch of our bodies is far more important than getting an education, having a job, or, I don't know, teaching others (mainly boys) to keep it in their pants. We are unable to fully express ourselves, which is really half of the point of wearing clothes anyway.

One of my biggest issues with women's clothing is that it all seems to be see-through. Leggings, shirts, dresses, and even business shirts end up being too thin that they expose everything. Sometimes this is done on purpose to create "a look," and those kinds of shirts can easily be avoided. Other times, it appears to just be an unfortunate characteristic, and all that creates for me is anger.

I do understand the style a little bit. I'll admit it can be a cute look for a night out if you're into that. But when I'm just trying to wear a pair of leggings and a nice shirt and you can see my bra and underwear? That's not a cute look.

A nude-colored bra is a staple for all bra-wearing folk for the obvious reason of being able to wear it with any color shirt without having a loud color or pattern poking through, catching someone's eye for all the wrong reasons. The same can be said for underwear, plain black or nude works great for most types of bottoms. Tanktops are generally also a staple, but if you're like me and prefer not to actually wear them as undershirts, see-through clothing ends up being a big issue.

I can't tell you how many times I saw girls' neon green, zebra print underwear through their thin leggings when I would walk up the stairs behind them in high school. I also can't tell you how many times I've seen a girl's neon pink bra through their shirt. I mean, come on. But I've realized that it's not necessarily their fault unless they purposely wear a bright and/or patterned bra under a white shirt (even a black or dark bra can be problematic, tbh).

Back to my point, why does it seem like all of women's clothing is made with half the fabric of men's for at least double the price? Where is the sense in that? Why am I expected to wear at least two or three layers to make it look like I'm only wearing one solid one? Why can't clothing manufacturers just pick thicker fabrics to make clothes out of?

I think what frustrates me most is that blouses are generally see-through. As a girl in business school, I don't appreciate it and wish it wasn't such an issue. See-through clothing makes shopping even harder than it needs to be.