Yes, I Do Go To A Women's College

Yes, I Do Go To A Women's College

And yes, I love it.

646
Yes, I Do Go To A Women's College
Educational Advocates

If you had told me the summer before my junior year of high school that I would be attending a women's college I would have not believed you. I would have thought, "Me? A heterosexual female with numerous close male friends at a women's college? No way." When I was recruited to play field hockey by a couple women's colleges that viewpoint slowly started to change. I applied to many schools the December of my senior year, some co-ed and a couple women's colleges. When April came and it was time to pick a school I excitedly, but nervously, accepted my admission to Mount Holyoke College.

I got a lot of comments from my fellow high school classmates. "How are you going to meet guys?," "You're going to a college without boys? I could never do that," "Really?"

I would brush these off with a laugh. They didn't understand it and they didn't need too.

But now, I want everybody to understand because it was a great decision. I love attending a women's college and here are some reason's why.

It is one of the most supportive environments I have ever been in. The institution encourages me to continually grow as a person. The attitude in most classrooms to other students is supportive. We all want to succeed and we want to help each other succeed. We all know how it feels to be sidelined. We've all felt at some point growing up that we weren't as good as the boys. Here, though, that attitude is nonexistent. Everybody can be anything here and we support what each other dreams.

I'm able to focus on important aspects of my life such as academics and athletics more than I ever have been able to in my entire life. Without as many distractions, I can pay attention to what college is suppose to be for. I don't find myself involved in gossip, casual flirting and weekday partying. I focus more in class. At practice, I don't play harder cause the guys on the next field over are watching, I play harder because I want to improve.

I am more confident in myself than I have ever have been before. The supportive environment is a big factor in this. I am physically more comfortable in my body. I don't feel the need to wear makeup like I once did. I don't feel the need to dress up and keep up with fashion trends in order to impress others. I want to express my concerns and opinions to others when I once would have kept them to myself because I was too shy.

I have learned more about myself then I think I would have at this point at a co-ed college. I focus on myself and growing as a person. I understand myself better. Women's college really encourages and allows these types of opportunities.

I think that we need to be encouraging women's institutions and not badmouthing them. I think we need to stop forming stereotypes and gain a better understanding of their purpose. This goes for not just women, but men too.

As the time to make college decisions approaches, if you're someone who's hesitant about going to a women's college, don't be. Don't be afraid to dive in head first and embrace it. I promise it won't be a mistake.