20 Bad-Ass Women Who Have Graced Our Television Screens

I could write a book on how impactful these women are for other women and girls.

395
flickr

How great is it that we get to have the most incredible, powerful, strong, and beautiful women grace our television screens week to week?

These women act as excellent role models for young girls and have truly had an impact on so many lives, so I thought it best to highlight these women.

1. Alison DiLaurentis, "Pretty Little Liars"

If you have ever turned on your TV, it's almost guaranteed you've heard of the hit Freeform show "Pretty Little Liars." This show focuses on five main girls who are all strong independent women that could have easily made up a fourth of this list but I wanted to highlight Alison specifically because of this character's ability to affect the show so greatly while not physically being in the first four seasons. She was mysterious and you never quite had her all the way figured out even up until the series finale and she was so fiercely strong and survived to hide out for four years and eventually ended with being engaged to the girl she'd always loved with kids she adores.

2. Mona Vanderwaal, "Pretty Little Liars"

Now, some might not count Mona as one of the main girls as she's not an official "liar," however, I think having a character like her (who, might I add, was in every single season) who throughout the show remained to be wise beyond her years and show girls that you can go from being the nerdy girl that everyone picked on to someone people respect and turn to to help them get out of serious situations is pretty impactful.

3. Hermione Granger, Harry Potter

Easily who I consider being the most influential female character to ever be in a movie. She is brave and teaches values of friendship and sacrifice and shows that you can be a girl and be the smartest person in any room you are in.

4. Abby Suso, Love, Simon

Abby made this list because even though she and I look different and live in different parts of the nation, I see myself in her. I see myself in the storyline of her divorced parents and feeling like you can't show emotions towards your unfortunate circumstances. She is someone girls from broken homes can look at and relate to and see how strong and confident Abby is and know that they can be that way, too.

5. Fiona Gallagher, Shameless

Fiona was born into a family that is just an absolute mess from an alcoholic father to an absent mother and having to raise her five siblings while trying to balance her life she's the strongest most driven woman I think of. One of Fiona's most redeeming qualities is that she doesn't take shit from ANYONE she will put anyone in their place and go southside on their ass (that only makes sense if you watch the show).

6. Emily Prentiss, Criminal Minds

Criminal Minds has always been my favorite show it's one of the few crime shows where each character has an in-depth storyline outside of work. Emily's is a bit intense she's been through more than anyone should ever have to go through and has had to go into witness protection resulting in everyone she loves thinking she died as well as loosing so many of her friends outside the unit and still Emily has been able to put her struggles aside and lead the BAU unit.

7. Olivia Benson, Law and Order SVU

If you've watched this show, then you know why Olivia had to make this list. Much like the woman who portrays her, Olivia is an advocate for victims and will do anything to save a special victims life she is brave and tough and my version of a superhero.

8. Mia Thermopolis, Princess Diaries

This is a character I think every girl can see themselves in (maybe not the whole being a princess and having Julie Andrews as a grandma bit), she's quirky and doesn't really fit in at school. She has a crush on a mediocre looking guy that she eventually realizes is a tool. Can you say story of my life? What I think really makes Mia a role model is that throughout both movies (more so the second one) she stands her ground and doesn't let the fear of not being crowned keep her from doing what she wants.

9. Tracy Turnblad, Hairspray

Now this character aside this movie is just important is really is such a pivotal movie when it comes to segregation also a pivotal movie when it comes to me realizing maybe Zac Efron is the second coming. Tracy doesn't let her size stop her from following her dreams and she doesn't let her dreams stop her from standing up for the targets of blatant racism she's an activist and remains so to the end of the film.

10. Elle Woods, Legally Blonde

Elle is often overlooked when thinking about excellent female roles in movies and television this was a woman who NEVER stepped down she always knew exactly want she wanted and made sure she got that even with stereotypes and other obstacles in the way. She always empowered other women even when they weren't the best to her and always kept her word. Plus, she taught us the 'Bend and Snap,' and we owe her for that one.

11. Sam Montgomery, A Cinderella Story

Sam is the best "Cinderella" embodiment in modern media. She's strong and stands her ground and puts so much focus on her education. Plus Hilary Duff plays her, so it's an automatic win.

12. Dorothy Gale, The Wizard Of Oz

She's headstrong, and I have always noticed that when Dorothy sets her mind to something, it always happens.

13. Cora Hamilton, Riptide

Every young girl that has ever struggled with living up to their parents dreams for them can relate to her. Hopefully, they will take notes from how Cora lived her life for herself and not anyone else in the end.

14. Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter

We can all relate to being an outcast someone people automatically judge. Luna teaches us to embrace the weird and the abnormal.

15. Jessica Davis, 13 Reasons Why

Jessica is the voice that girls who have been victims of sexual assault need. They need this character to see themselves in she is so vital to this show.

16. Meg Murry, A Wrinkle in Time

This girl is a warrior. She is the epitome of bravery, and she is someone young girls are going to look at and want to be like.

17. Kara Danvers, Supergirl

Growing up, I never had a female superhero to watch on TV. Now, the youth get this beautiful woman that embodies everything Superman and the Flash embody for young boys.

18. Caitlin Snow, The Flash

What makes Caitlin so damn intriguing is her intelligence. Not that it's rare for a woman to be smart, but it's rare on television for a woman to be the smartest person in the room and Caitlin always is.

19. Bay Kennish, Switched at Birth

Bay goes through hell and has to put up with the most toxic people in her life, but she uses all of that to create beautiful art to lift herself up.

20. Callie Adams Foster, The Fosters

Simply put, Callie has been given the short end of the stick. Despite her troubles, she's a total badass who defies all odds stacked against her and makes something of herself.