Why Women Should Be Required To Register for the Military Draft

In January of this year, the United States Defense Department rid all restrictions on the military service in regards to gender. After years of debate, these actions allowed women to serve in nearly all forms of combat. In return, this granted nearly total equality of men and women in the military, as well as being a very successful step in the feminist movement. One argument, stated by Defense Secretary Ash Carter, is that, "The military must draw from broadest pool of possible talent." The spectrum of women must be included in this area. However, this has raised yet another question in regards toward women and the military service, of whether or not they should be required to sign up for the military draft as well, which I believe they should.

As feminists and their movement have been around for quite some time, many are still confused or misguided as to what the definition of feminism really is. So, I'd first like to address this matter. Feminism is not by any means suggesting that women are better than men in any way. They're simply looking for equality between both genders. Throughout history, women have been sexually oppressed and seen as less than men. The feminist movement is to get rid of that oppression, as if gender didn't even exist when it comes towards decision making and judgements. No sexual oppression of men, no sexual oppression of women. The goal of the feminist movement is to make it look as if sexual oppression doesn't even exist. As this sexual oppression and their argument in the feminist movement is one of many arguments that lead to the victory of lifting all these gender based restrictions in the military, I believe it should also be used when it comes to the Selective Service Act.

As I said before, the feminist movement was created with the intention to rid sexual oppression. However, if only men are required to register for the draft, that would be the act of sexually oppressing men. Requiring women to register for the military draft would not only be seen as an act of feminism, but it would eliminate any sexually oppression that the male gender would be receiving as well.

Additionally, as argued by Secretary Carter for women being allowed to serve in all forms of combat, we use that same argument as to why they should be required to register for the military draft as well. Although the broadest pool of possible talent does include some women, not all women with these capabilities may voluntarily enlist in the military to begin with. Also, requiring women to register for the military draft by including them in the selective service act could give some of those on the edge of enlisting/hesitant about enlisting that extra push to enlist in the military. Including women in the Selective Service Act and requiring them to register for the military draft would not only beneficial for our country, but it is true equality.