Women In The Bible: Jochebed

Women In The Bible: Jochebed

A mother who made a great sacrifice

353
Women In The Bible: Jochebed
Youtube

Who was Jochebed?

Jochebed was the mother of Moses, Miriam, and Aaron and wife of a Levite man, Amram (Exodus 6:20). She is mentioned in the Hebrews Hall of Fame for her actions and faith (Hebrews 11:23).

What did she do?

Jochebed hid Moses from the Pharaoh for three months after the ruler ordered the death of all Jewish male babies. However, she realized she couldn't hide him forever, so she coated a papyrus basket with tar and pitch, placed Moses in it, and put it along the reeds in the Nile (Ex. 2:3-4). The Pharaoh's daughter saw the basket and asked one of her attendants (Moses' sister, Miriam) to retrieve it. The girl found Jochebed and brought her back to the Pharaoh's daughter, who told Jochebed that she would pay her to nurse the baby (Ex. 2).

Why her story matters

Jochebed joined other Hebrew Midwives and disobeyed the Pharaoh's command to kill all the Jewish baby boys (Ex. 1:17) . She hid Moses because he knew he would become an incredible man of God (Ex. 2:2). However, Jochebed made a difficult decision and gave her child away when she realized his life was in danger. Due to her obedience, God allowed Jochebed to nurse Moses for a short time, even if it meant she wouldn't see him grow into an adult. Without Miriam's protection, Moses could have died and the Israelites wouldn't have a righteous leader that could save them from Egyptian slavery. Without Moses, the covenant God made with Abraham may not have continued if the Israelites followed an unrighteous leader.

Furthermore, Jochebed demonstrated true faith in God's sovereignty. She knew that God would protect Moses and that he had a greater plan for her son. As a result, the Bible honors her as a woman of great faith.