The Benefits Of Being A College Woman In A STEM Major
Education

7 Reasons Why Being A Woman In S-T-E-M Is The B-E-S-T

Science shouldn't be something to be afraid of, it should be something to embrace and conquer.

11291
woman in medicine

Growing up, I used to think science was only for boys. I read articles about male scientists discovering all sorts of neat things, but I never thought I could become a scientist like them. As I embarked on my college journey, I realized that there are women, like me, who believed they couldn't become something big in the STEM field. This article is to encourage those the women out there that believe they're not supposed to be in the STEM field.

1. I feel like a BOSS

And it feels so good! Being in the STEM field has taught me that even though society tells me I can't do something big because I'm a woman, I sure as hell have a place to be something big in science. STEM empowers me to be a role model for young girls who aspire to become scientists. It gives me a cape so that I can feel like SuperWoman. It allows me to escape from reality and focus on a subject that I love. For me, STEM is a field of freedom.

2. I get to show my male colleagues how it's done

I'm not trying to say men are stupid buttt they are (totally kidding... but not really). When my male colleagues ask me for help or when they feel inferior when I'm good at something they aren't, I feel empowered. For so many years, women were looking up to men and feeling inferior but not it's quite the opposite. There are more female scientists coming into the field and I've definitely seen the impact. I can confidently say that women are here to stay. The future is female and if that offends any of my male readers, then sorry but I'm not sorry. We've waited far too long for a powerful female presence in the STEM field and we're finally starting to see them show others how it's done.

3. I had no role model, so I vowed to become a role model

It's true, I had no real female role models growing up. I felt like I was a helpless little girl stuck in a man's world. As harsh as that sounds, it was a reality for me at the time. Once I decided I wanted to be in STEM, I made a promise to myself that I would become a role model for other little girls out there. I want to show girls that it's OK to be a woman and a scientist and that the two shouldn't be something to be scared of being in today's world. I want to help girls feel strong and smart. I grew up thinking I didn't have the qualities to be in the STEM field. I realized later on that you learn so many intelligent qualities once you agree on entering the field. I want to be a role model and I want to be the leader of inspiring little girls to follow their science dreams.

4. I wanna be on TV someday

I used to see so many great scientists show off their work during interviews on major TV networks. Their work was absolutely mind-blowing. I realized I want to be like them and one day show off my work on national television. I'm not asking for a claim to fame, but I want to be able to talk about my scientific discoveries and share my work with the world. It's a dream of mine that still has a long way to go, but I know I will be able to make my dream into a reality.

5. SO many ideas

Once you decide on being in STEM, there are almost always a crazy amount of ideas jumping around in your head and you have no idea where to put them all. Well, that's what's so great about STEM. You can explore each and every one of your ideas down to the little details and stumble upon more and more ideas. STEM is all about discovering new ideas and jumping from one way of thinking to another. Every day is a new day for learning something new, which is one of the reasons why I love STEM so much. Every day is a new mystery waiting to be explored.

6. Confidence

STEM gives me a stable ground to put both feet on and feel confident that I'll be OK. There are plenty of fields that may seem kind of worrisome but STEM strengthens me and reassures me that I'm in the right field. It's given me hope that I can stay in this field till the end of time and still be financially and mentally stable. There are so many people who are willing to help you grow in science, and I'm so lucky to have met such people. They give me confidence that I can pursue my dreams without any regrets.

7. It's my passion

Lastly, science is my passion. It's everything I love, care for, and respect, all in one. There are still so many developments that need to be made but just thinking about the future and the love I have for STEM makes me excited for what's to come. I've been told before that I shouldn't be in medicine and that it's not the right field for women. I want to show those people that I'm here to stay and that my passion is so strong for science that I am willing to do anything for it. I know the future is going to be great and until then, I will continue this journey to pursue my dreams and follow my passion.