What You Need To Know About Title X Clinics

What is Title X?

Title X is a federally mandated healthcare grant established in 1970 that focuses on providing subsidized family planning options as well as basic health care options. Unfortunately, the connotation of "family planning" has been twisted and turned around by many people to instantly imply the idea of abortion. It doesn't help that in many states, Title X clinics are housed in Planned Parenthood clinics. This has caused people to forget all of the benefits that Title X clinics provide to those who may not be able to receive them otherwise.

The long list includes mammograms, pap smears, STD testing, birth control, vaccinations, prenatal care, infant care and so on. The point is the span much further than what many Pro-Lifers think. It's sad how misinformed some folks are these days to the extent that they would go protest a clinic that is just providing subsidized healthcare. For a long time though, these grant for these clinics were safe and secure in the Affordable Care Act under the Obama Administration. That may not be the case for that much longer.

Why should you care about Title X

With all the great things Title X clinics do for women, men, and children you should already give a shit. But I'm logical enough to realize that you may still view it as a sinful public mandate. So here are a few more reasons. Many people across the country simply can't afford health care options, especially since the Affordable Care Act was dismissed. Title X is one of the last strongholds for people to take care of themselves without going bankrupt. Many services that Title X clinics provide are life-saving for all, yes even babies. Shocking right? Title X clinics utilize Planned Parenthood as a platform for their subsidized services, but not always, yet they still receive the same amount of backlash even when they are a separate entity.

They are seen as one and the same, which let's be honest, really really sucks. It's like comparing a lake and an ocean, even though one is far more vast just as Title X is. With the dismissal of the Affordable Care Act and the Reign of Trump, we may also be saying goodbye to Title X clinics as well. His administration wants to draw a definite line as to what is "healthcare" and what is "family planning" which in turn would significantly limit the number of Title X clinics and their funding. Without Title X clinics many families will no longer have access to important health services.

Why I care about Title

After being diagnosed with hormone imbalances that led to severe ovarian cysts when I was only 13 years old, I began treatment using birth control. Although I had insurance through my parents that could cover birth control, my mom and I looked into Title X clinics at our local Children's Hospital in Denver. After utilizing Title X's services for over 5 years, I moved to Arizona and had to locate a new clinic to visit. Initially, I wasn't aware that in Arizona Title X clinics are, as I've said a lot by now, housed in Planned Parenthood.

Because I was already aware of how Title X clinics functioned and that Planned Parenthood wasn't the place of sin that everyone seemed to think it was I had no problem receiving treatment there. As a patient at these clinics, I am directly affected by the defunding of them. I am not some slut seeking an abortion, I am not a whore committing a sin, I am not a bad Christian for going there. I am simply a college student utilizing the benefits of a subsidized clinic in order to treat a condition I struggle with. Please don't judge the women, men, children, or families that use Title X clinics and don't support the men of Washington attempting to once again control how we deal with our health.