As a Woman Who Plays Video Games, This Is Why All Women Should Give It a Try

Don't worry, it took me a while to learn how to aim as well.

33

Growing up with three brothers, I was predisposed to all of their interests, even if that meant that I had to catch an elbow or two from them, reenacting WWE wrestling on me.

However, one thing that always stuck with me is when I would watch my eldest brother play video games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and NBA 2K-so-and-so on his Xbox 360. He was always so focused on the TV screen, fingers pressing and jamming buttons strategically on his controller. Being that I was so much younger than he, there were very few things a seven-year-old and sixteen-year-old had in common, but video games brought us together a lot of the time. So, like any other kid, I grew an appreciation for video games and owned many Nintendo products—the DS, the DSi, the Wii, the Game Cube. But, unfortunately, once I went into my teenage years, my interests changed, and video games became an afterthought.

Originally from the Midwest, moving to the South for school was a huge transition within itself.

My friends, my family, and those early memories were left back home, and I was left to create new ones with new people. I was finding a new circle of friends introduced me to and reacquainted me with many things, including my old pal, video games. After so many years, I virtually knew nothing about gaming and didn't feel very motivated to learn because I died or failed in a game so easily each time I tried. Nevertheless, I continued to play with my friends and slowly saw the progress over time.

I am still learning as I play. I started by playing PC games and transitioned to console once I was gifted a PS4.

Something that I find amusing is how often I am mistaken for a young boy or just not taken seriously while playing because I am a girl. Even if you don't have experience in video games or aren't interested in mainstream games like 2K, Fortnite, and Call of Duty, there is still a plethora of games to choose from and ones that could appeal to your interests.

What playing video games have taught me is that there is so much room for development and growth in the gaming community for all women.

Looking at popular platforms that are used for streaming gaming like Twitch and YouTube, there is a huge market for women to showcase their skills and interests just like men in the community do. While there are a few women doing their thing, there is a lack of representation in terms of race and ethnicity, and all people should feel open to explore the gaming world. I, as a young woman of color, am content with my growth in video games, and thank my older brother for exposing me to something I've come to enjoy thoroughly.