Events In Wisconsin

8 Events That You Can Only Find In Wisconsin

From log chopping and polka dancing to cream puffs and celebrating a green ogre, Wisconsin provides an opportunity to ignite that crazy side.

348
Mikayla Kelz

Wisconsin - a state often generalized for its cheese eating, beer drinking, and hardworking personality is home to many great events throughout the year. These events not only serve as a whole lot of fun but truly showcase the identity, culture, and spirit that the Wisconsin people have today and in their past.

1. The World Championship Lumberjack Festival 

Located in Hayward, people travel from all over to compete and watch the ultimate lumberjack challenge consisting of an overall Lumberjack and Lumberjill. Events include log chopping, boom running, speed pole climbing, throwing and sawing. The event includes many Northwoods events, lots of flannel and a yo-hoo attitude!

2. Hot Air Affair 

A full three days of so many activities and beautiful balloons, the surprising part is that it is in the middle of winter in western Wisconsin. This family fun event is jam-packed with things to do. From judging ice sculpture carvings to numerous crafts, and of course ice fishing competitions, live music and the setting of the balloons. It's uniqueness and sparkle of fun in the depressing winter cold is sure to brighten every participant's mood.

3. Summerfest

Since 1968, Summerfest has been one of the premier music festivals. Taking place in Milwaukee, it showcases over 800 bands and 1,000 performances each summer. From big names like Jackson 5, Imagine Dragons, Glen Campbell and Dave Matthews band, Summerfest is an 11-day jam-packed event that is a once in a lifetime opportunity to hear your favorite songs live.

4. The Wisconsin State Fair 

Basically, everything that you love about your small county fair, but bigger and better. Calling West Allis its home, the State Fair brings thousands of people together every year to celebrate Wisconsin dairy, art and culture. One thing the Wisconsin State Fair is especially popular for is their ability to fry food. Some famous foods include deep-fried Nutella, cocktails, olives, turducken and of course some of the best cream puffs in the world.

5. The Wisconsin State Polka Festival 

Polka music, originating in Europe, consists of much of the heritage of many Wisconsinites. Therefore why not celebrate Dutchmen, Polish, Czech, Slovenian and German style of music in one place. Live bands come to play at this festival in Milwaukee and instructors are even there to help you learn how to dance this unique style. If you are feeling competitive there is even a Wisconsin State Polka Queen you can become as well.

6. Dairy Breakfasts

June is dairy month and that calls for a huge celebration in Wisconsin. During this month many towns in Wisconsin host dairy breakfasts consisting of milk, eggs, sausage, yogurt and other breakfast-like food. There is sometimes even ice cream to enjoy! Many farms will often invite the public to their homes and host their own style of dairy breakfasts that often include barn festivities as well.

7. Shrekfest

Want to feel like an all-star and enter funky town? Deck out in your green and relive all three Shrek movies at Shrekfest in Madison. Popular events include an onion eating contest, loudest roar, pin the tail off the donkey, a costume competition, live music — Shrek themed of course and an outdoor screening of the first Shrek movie. If you need more convincing, there is free beer as well as Ogre ears for your picture taking pleasure.

8. Oktoberfest Wisconsin

Just as popular as cheese here is the beer. Continuing in the same matter as Milwaukee Brewfest, Oktoberfest in Brookfield provides a place for people to celebrate their German Heritage and if not German, just drink beer. This is the perfect place to sample iconic German beers and wine.