6 Skin Care & Makeup Essentials For A New Season

6 Skin Care & Makeup Essentials For Transitioning To A New Season

Hydration is a must!

61

This winter, while starting off fairly mild in Chicago, has been the driest one that I have personally ever experienced. My skin type is defined as "normal to combination," as opposed to dry or oily, but I have still gone through five face, lip, and body moisturizers.

1. Toner: Kiehl's Ultra Facial Toner

After washing my face, I always find myself using this product with really positive results. Even though this product feels so fresh and hydrating on the skin, it goes on to gently exfoliate the outer layer of your skin, letting healthier skin come through.

2. Primer: TIE!

Between Too Faced's Hangover Rx primer, which I've previously written about, alongside Nars' "smooth and protect" primer with built-in SPF — primer has been an essential this winter to apply makeup alongside hydrate the skin. Before I switched to these two, I was using Smash Box Photo Finish primer, Milk Cosmetics Blur Stick, as well as Benefit's Pore-fessional primer. Smash Box's product definitely provided the best, most airbrushed look, whereas the other two left a light, powdery finish. While there was nothing wrong with that, the reason that the other two listed products are preferable are due to the fact that they hydrate the face much better.

3. Lip balm: Kopari Lip Love

Kopari is a makeup brand that is centered around coconut oil. I've already gone through a tube of this product and went on to restock — this time ordering a pigmented one. A couple of shades are available, and they include the same moisturizing formula.

4. Facial moisturizer: Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Although I've seen varied results with this product, from safeguarding my skin from acne to maybe not being as effective, potentially based on other factors such as sleep, diet, and other products. But that being said, it always is great at locking in moisture into the skin, from the moment it touches, to its easy blendibility.

5. Concealer: Hydrating Concealer by Benefit

Although you can't feel the physical hydration, this stick concealer definitely keeps creases away all day long. Luckily, I perfectly match tone #3, so I don't have to take too long blending it out and can use it for spot coverage.

6. Setting spray: Hangover 3-in-1 Too Faced

After my Mario Badescu Rose Water Setting Spray finished, I found myself a new favorite in this spray. Using coconut water, this lightweight spray is great to not only prime the skin and set makeup, but also to spray on to refresh dull or dry skin. Toners and setting sprays are easy ways to make sure that the skin is getting plenty of moisture doing the day. Another honorable mention is the coconut scented Mac Fix+ setting spray.

Not only has hydration been a common theme in these products, but also an abundance of coconut scent/oil, as those properties are known for moisturizing the face, hair, and body.