Will We Forget This Time
Politics

Will We Forget This Time

Some people are more concerned about maintaining gun culture than the lives of human beings.

845
Will We Forget This Time
LA Times

Will we forget this massacre this time? Will this one be forgotten and then will another one take its place soon after to then be forgotten again. After the Sandy Hook Massacre, I thought there could be nothing worse. Then there was the shooting at a nightclub in Orlando, and then the shooting at Vegas, and now the shooting in at Marjory Stoneman Douglass High School in Parkland, Florida. All of these massacres as well, as others not mentioned, were equal in hatred, equal in evilness and they occurred with an assault weapon that was designed for military use.

Some people are more concerned about maintaining gun culture than the lives of human beings. There is a notion of freedom within this country that is profound and important. But with the wrong mindset, this notion can be misconstrued to be interpreted as a law that does not allow the regulation of guns. There are some who argue that the assault weapons are used for hunting or for gun collection purposes. These people seem to be more willing to uphold the statues of gun culture in order to maintain the supposed freedom and rights within the constitution while others die because of it.

However, one of the major purposes of the Constitution, more specifically, the Bill of Rights was to uphold freedom and the right to uphold statues of “hunting/gun culture” above the freedom of individuals to go to school and gather in a public vicinity without being shot to death is not truly freedom. And this consideration should not be exclusive to Suburbia but all other cities within the United States. To hold the freedom of gun/hunting culture above freedom is not freedom at all.

Although I support the right to bear arms, the AR-15 is an army assault weapon and it should have never been allowed to be obtained by non- army personnel with mental illness or not no matter if they like to hunt. Conservatives seem to be busy trying to conserve a principle that was written centuries ago to fit the needs or understanding of needs for those times. No one should conserve any century-old principle without scrutiny and proper consideration for how it should be molded to fit our current world

It was not the prevalent mass shootings alone that caused me to realize that there should be gun reform. It was when I learned about the gun violence that is very prevalent in inner cities and urban areas as well. The complexity of the kinds of mass murders that takes place in the inner cities requires more than just the gun reform but this should have also prompted as many people to lead protests and marches and media coverage. This also should not be forgotten

It is true that security measures should have been taken throughout the entire situation but now is not the time to place blame because the crimes have already been committed. More people have died because of a mass massacre and it will continue to happen if proper action is not taken. Some action has been taking place but it must be persistent and when the media forgets and moves on to the next topic, we cannot.