Why You Should Write For Odyssey

why you should write for odyssey

It's important to stand for what you believe in, and Odyssey truly gave me that platform.

22
www.theodysseyonline.com

Not enough college students know about the opportunities presented by Odyssey. In fact, I didn't even get started until my senior year. But because of writing, because of getting published, I have found my own voice, and I hope that other college students that come after me are able to do the same.

I've always been passionate about writing, but I never thought of it as something I could really pursue. Odyssey taught me that it was possible, and that I could actually have my writing published and have thousands of people hearing me and what I have to say. I got to write on my own experiences and opinion and, in a way, I found it to be therapeutic.

Writing these articles have actually gotten me through some tough times, believe it or not, no matter how lighthearted or serious the content was. It feels good to write things down and let other people know how you feel because, chances are, a lot of people can relate.

What's so great is that you can literally write about whatever you want. This isn't like an assignment at school that you have to sit down and force yourself to write. This is something that you can actually enjoy doing, and it doesn't feel forced to have to do it. Everything you say comes from the heart, it comes from you.

From writing about my sorority to relationships to harder hitting topics, like the glamorization of suicide in "13 Reasons Why", some of my articles have had some backlash. Guys I've written about have confronted me. People have gone on Facebook rants and publicly based things I've said. I've even had a response to my sorority articles from others who write for Odyssey, disagreeing for what I stand for.

But honestly, none of this matters because, at the end of the day, I wrote what I wanted to and my voice was heard. People will have different opinions of you and that's okay. It's important to stand for what you believe in, and Odyssey truly gave me that platform.

With that being said, I am saying goodbye to Odyssey as I am now graduating from college. What I can only hope is that this organization on campus grows stronger and that the voices of young people continue to be heard throughout generations.