Why You Should Love Your Older Brother

Why You Should Love Your Older Brother

He's always been there for you whether you know it or not

15
Why You Should Love Your Older Brother
Natalia Wan

Growing up, me and my brother were always fighting — like literally hitting each other — we did not get along. We would call each other names, fight over who got to sit where on the couch when we wanted to watch TV, and who got to eat the last Fisher Scone with butter and jelly when our mom made them for breakfast on the weekends.

Looking back, I couldn’t have imagined us fighting like we used to. Maybe it’s because we were young and naïve and we just didn’t know how to communicate with each other. But now, things have totally changed. Oh how the turntables.

As we got older and more mature, we were able to talk to each other and really connect. I think the main thing that we didn’t have when we were younger was appreciation for each other. Growing up with an older brother, you may think they are the worst person ever, but in reality, they give you so much you can’t see.

He taught you how to be competitive and not take any nonsense anyone throws at you. You’ve competed with your brother to be the best in school, sports, and even who gave the best Mother’s Day gift. You’ve gotten enough of his blaming and insults your whole childhood life — you don’t need it from anyone else.

He taught you how to be tough, literally and figuratively. I remember always getting into fights with my brother where we would end up with some scratches here and there. I also remember being at my grandma’s house and jumping off the arm of the couch and toppling over my brother — she was not pleased with me. We would get into screaming matches over the silliest things, but all of it taught me to be tough and cunning and to always stand my ground.

He’s the first to make mistakes in the family. This isn’t just strictly for older brothers, but for older siblings in general. They should get a huge thank you from their younger brothers and sisters for taking the brunt of parenting for being out too late, getting caught with alcohol, or having their first boyfriend or girlfriend.

He protects you. Fast forward a few years and my brother and I are in Vegas for my twenty-first birthday. My mom was maybe a little nervous that me and my brother were going to sin city to celebrate and drink our faces off — OK, knowing my brother’s drinking habits, she was definitely very nervous. But she didn’t have to be. My brother did not leave my side at any club we went to, but always made sure I had a drink in my hand. He fended off guys trying to approach me — thanks for cramping my style bro — but I knew it was for the best, even though it was a little annoying. I know he had the best intentions for me. Older brothers will always protect you from anything; from boys, mean friends, even your parents.

The list goes on and on and I could go on forever talking about my brother and all the things we’ve been through together. I honestly don’t know what I would be like if I didn’t have him. So, give your brother some love because there’s so much to appreciate about having him. He is your friend, even though you may not think it, he supports you, is always there to provide you life lessons along the way.