Why You Need To Be Using Korean Skincare

Yes, I put snail mucin and bee venom on my face. Here's why you should too.

208

Korean beauty and skincare, also known as k-beauty, has been blowing up the beauty world recently. However, this is not just another trend, k-beauty is here to stay. With the holidays and a harsh winter coming up, you're skin's going to need a little (or a lot) of TLC. What a perfect time to set up your k-beauty routine! I became obsessed with the Korean approach to skincare almost immediately after my sister introduced me to it. You could definitely call it a "Come to Jesus moment." Here's yours.

1. The mental benefits

A Korean skincare routine really is a process. It can have up to fifteen or so steps, but don't let that scare you. The time you're spending slathering on your multiple cleansers, essences, toners, serums, etc. is the best form of "me time". I use that time to decompress and reflect on my day. We spend all day running from place to place, here is 10 minutes where you don't have to think about anything else if you don't want to.

2. You will feel super knowledgeable - and you actually will be

Do you know what you're putting on your skin? I mean really know what's in your products? I know I didn't before I ventured into the K-beauty world. One of the key factors of K-beauty is a focus on both natural and innovative ingredients. This is how I came to using terms like "hyaluronic acid" in everyday conversation and slathering snail mucin on my face every night.

3. It's fun!

K-beauty packaging is probably the cutst, coolest thing I have ever seen. In fact, I proudly display all my (many) skincare products in my room because they could almost be decorative. Also, there is no rush like finding or trying a new product.

4. Your wallet will thank you

According to Alicia Yoon, founder of K-beauty e-commerce cite Peach & Lily, because the K-beauty market is so competitive, prices stay fairly reasonable. While I use more products than I used to, my old 3-step process was significantly more expensive than my current 10+ step process.

5. Your Snapchat game will soar

Have you ever seen someone with the K-beauty staple sheet mask on? It's hilarious. Full face masks, panda eye patches, even lip masks have been documented on my face. I have sent so many pictures of me in my various masks and it still hasn't gotten old (although my Snapchat friends might tell you otherwise). And no, I'm NOT ashamed or embarrassed of that picture of me.

6. It's infinitely customizable

No matter what type of skin you have or the problems you're having, there is a Korean skincare routine to remedy it. Because there are so many steps and such a huge market, your routine is infinitely customizable. I have combination skin, and my routine reflects that.

7. There is always something more to learn and another product to try

Just when I think I have a solid, set routine, the K-beauty gods introduce a new earth-shattering product. I'm about to receive a lotus seed toner and fermented tea leaf moisturizer in the mail. I never even thought of these ingredients and their unexpected benefits.

8. You can be assured of the quality of the products

Korean women are very picky about what they put on their skin (as everyone should be), which forces beauty companies to step up their game. Don't be fooled by the cute packaging or out-there ingredients, these products don't mess around.

9. Prevent, rather than conceal

North American skincare and beauty usually takes the approach of covering up or fixing a problem. K-beauty stops the problem before it happens, valuing skincare above makeup. Wouldn't you rather actually have clear, glowing skin than buying a tube of foundation that promises the illusion of it?

10. It works.

I can tell you from personal experience. After my first year of college I experienced my first real struggle with acne. Of course you always think your skin is worse than it may actually be, but it was the first thing I thought about when I woke up and the last thing I thought about before I fell asleep. Korean skincare completely changed that. I don't have perfect skin, but I feel completely comfortable without foundation or tinted moisturizer on, which is a very freeing feeling.