Why You Can't Believe Everything You See On Social Media

Is everyone else really this happy except me?

8957
brafton.com

In this day and age, nearly everything revolves around one thing -- social media. We live in a world where how many likes you got on your last Instagram pictures determines your worth and how many followers you have is more important than how many genuine relationships you have. Social media has been huge influence on the millennial generation and has changed the way children grow up and how people live their daily lives, but social media has also a had a huge influence on society, as a whole. It seems like everyone is putting everything out there on social media and it can be so easy to find yourself getting wrapped up in it.

Don't get me wrong social media has so many benefits. You can meet people online with social media, keep in touch with people online, you can get all the latests news through social media, you can just post about your own life through social media and some people are actually having amazing opportunities and making money because of social media. Basically, social media has completely changed the world as we have known it.

Although social media obviously has its perks, it's sometimes easy to forget that everything we see and read about online isn't always real. It is way too easy for people to portray their lives differently online than they actually are in person, through no fault of their own. People have always wanted to take pictures of all the happy occasions going on in their lives. But, today, it's just so easy to take pictures of all the good things going on in your life, post them to social media and to a random person looking at your feed it may look like that's how your life always is, when -- in reality -- it's not always like that. But who hasn't done that? How many times do you see a picture and think, Wow they look like they have it all together; their life must be perfect.

As human beings, we are so inclined to believe that everyone else has it all together and you, yourself is the only person who is struggling through life. With social media, it makes it even easier to think that way, everything can easily be made to look so ideal. What social media doesn't show 99.9 percent of the time as reality? Because who wants to snap photos of you and your boyfriend fighting, or the damage done to your car after you got into a fender bender? Obviously, you are going to take pictures of all the happy moments. Why wouldn't you? That's something people have been doing ever since the camera was first invented.

Nobody wants to remember all the bad they only want to have memories of all the good. And, nobody wants to broadcast all their struggles and problems on Twitter or Instagram, for the world to see, they want to instead showcase all the good in their life. Therefore, it is so easy to forget that everyone has their struggles and their own problems. When you are constantly scrolling through images and text of happy looking people and positive things that are going on in other people's lives it can be easy to just think, Is everyone really this happy except me? You might even get a little jealous or upset because why does everyone have it together except you, right? I know that you've thought that at least a few times, because I know I have, without a doubt. It's inevitable to think that way sometimes, when your having a bad day or nothing is going right. But the truth is nobody's life is always constantly amazing, even if it may look like perfection online.

The most important thing to keep in mind, today, where nearly everything is done through the internet and social media at it's height, is that not everything is how it looks to be. Everyone has their own flaws, struggles and day-to-day problems. Just because you look at someones Instagram account and see they are smiling in every pictures, doesn't mean they don't have their fair share of bad days. The truth is, we don't get to see the behind-the-scenes of everyone's life through social media, and we don't have a right to see any of that, anyway. We just get to see the parts they want to show. We see the behind the scenes of our daily lives whether it's struggling with how you look or how much you make or the drama going on with your family or friends or whatever else it might be. Everyone has their own demons they have to face and you are not the only one.