Why Working In A Restaurant Is The Best, Worst Summer Job

Any job in the summer sucks, but at least if you pick a good one you'll have a good summer.

116
Samantha Fox

We all know summer jobs kinda suck no matter what they are, especially when you come home from college and just want to relax with your home-town friends and family that you haven't seen since probably winter break. But, some jobs are a little more, or less, bearable than others, depending on what you do. My experience with working in a restaurant on breaks has made me believe it is an awesome summer job, that only sucks some of the time.

Why it can absolutely stink..

1. Your hours are never what they're scheduled to be.

You could be scheduled from 4-10, but end up staying there until 12 because that one customer just can't get enough. Making plans for after work is never a good idea because the time you get out is so unpredictable.

2. You always end up working late nights.

Making plans after a shift is also never a good idea because most of the time you just want to fall into bed and pass out after a 6 hour shift turned into an 8 hour shift. Some customers don't care that the kitchen closes at 11 and love to come in and order at 10:55.

3. Customers can be very, very rude.

Some people are having a bad day when they come in, and some think its okay to take it out on everyone who tries to be nice to them. Also, sometimes they just don't want to cooperate the way you need them to; like when they seat themselves at a table, or don't want to sit where you seat them, and many other rude things you can do as a customer at a restaurant.

4. Getting paid in tips can be very unpredictable.

Tips depend on the day and that really stinks when you're trying to save back up for school. Some times customers will tip even below 15%, which can end up not even adding up to making minimum wage at the end of a shift.

Why it can be the best job ever...

1. You become close with your coworkers.

Working in a restaurant is like being part of a team, you all need each other to get the job done and make the restaurant look good. The waitresses need the hosts to seat them and the kitchen staff to make sure the food goes out, while the kitchen staff needs the waitresses to get the customers to order food in order for them to make it. You all work so closely and are together all the time, it's impossible to not become friends.

2. Getting paid in tips can be a good thing.

While some people tip very badly, others can tip over 20% and push you over the minimum wage mark, leaving you with much more money than you came in with.

3. There's always something fun going on at the restaurant.

If you work in a lively restaurant they will most likely always have things going on like live bands, beer company promos, trivia, and much more; which makes getting through a long shift much easier.

4. Customers can be awesome.

While some customers can be mean and make a shift shitty, others can make your day or even your whole week. They leave generous tips, laugh at your jokes, or even just give you a smile back. Some people just make your day which is what makes working in a customer service job worth while.